Tax for for PSI business

Hi All

I run a IT support business. I charge my client $100, they pay me $100 but I have to hold 30% of that for tax.

Is there a way in manager to show me the amount I should be holding for Tax.

I don’t want my customer seeing the amount.

It this 30% an estimate of your income tax or other tax base on the service provided?

Hi Patch

Thank you responding. It’s an estimated of the tax I will have to pay based on the invoice amount I charge to my customer for personal service income.

I can work the amount out in my head, but it would be nice if I could pull either a report that show me the dollar figure each week or month.

I assume you are a sole trader also.
The official response by most accountants is personal tax is not a business expense so does not belong in your manager business. The problem with that logic is income tax is a major bill for any profitable business so budgeting for it is imperative, particularly if income is varying. Doing so ensures funds are allocated up to 18 months earlier than just waiting till the tax department sends a bill.

A way to do it is modify your chart of account as shown

  • At regular intervals estimate your income for the period. This can conveniently be done when other tax is paid such as quarterly by reading it from Managers Profit and loss. The estimate can be improved if desired by deducting 1/4 of your approximate annual depreciation.

  • Personal tax can then be calculated. In Australia the ATO provides a Personal tax calculator. This amount is then transfered from “Owner’s equity” to “Tax income payable” by journal entry.

  • Provisional income tax paid to your tax department is taken out of the "Tax income payable " account (In Australia this is done with each Business Activity statement, typically quarterly. Other components going to “Tax GST payable” and “Employee PAYG tax”).

  • The running total of the "Tax income payable " account showing the difference between your estimate of your income tax liability and what you have provisionally paid to your tax department. The sign providing some guidance on how early you should submit your annual tax return.

  • When your income tax is submitted, the actual tax bill/refund can be used to put in an adjustment which would clear the “Tax income payable” account at the end of that financial year with any residual going into / coming out of “Owner’s equity”. This is done when entering the tax Payment/Receipt into Manger by putting in a line item which is equal to the “Tax income payable” account at the end of that financial year but opposite in sign and paid into that account with any residual going into / out of “Owner’s equity”.

I would make one modification to @Patch’s approach. If personal income tax is not an expense of the business, accrual of provision for its payment is likewise not a liability of the business. Instead, it is a sequestration of owner’s equity, a way of showing that some of the equity you have invested in your business is temporarily set aside to pay income taxes.

So I would move the Tax income Payalbe account to the Equity group. And I would rename it something like Provision for income tax. If business performance is as predicted, you would draw money from that account for use paying your income tax bill.

Another way to do this is to set up a capital account instead of converting Retained earnings to Owner’s equity. A subaccount for income tax provision could then be created.

Hi Patch,

Thank you for the very thorougher and in depth response. According the accountant im not a Sole Trader and work im doing is Considered to be Personal Services Income and to ruffly put away 30% the value of my invoice to pay for Tax, of cause there will be adjustments, but if I do this, I will have no surprises.
Currently im running an P&L report and doing the calculation myself, but if Manager can do it for me, it would be just easier.

Once again, thank you with you help, I appreciate it.

Hi Tut

Thank you for your reply. However it does not explain to me how I can get Manager to do the calculation for me.

To get better answers, you need to explain your situation better. If not a sole trader, what is your business? And why are you recording personal service income?

Sorry you don’t understand Tut.

In my first post, I said “I run a IT support business. & I have to hold 30% of that for tax.”

My response to Patch and thanks again for your help, I replied saying “According the accountant im not a Sole Trader and work im doing is Considered to be Personal Services Income and to ruffly put away 30%”

If manager cant do it automatically, that’s fine, ill do it manually.

I just asked the question, as there may of been an easy way to get manager to do the calculation for me.

Its not a dig at you or Manger, it was simply a question.

To write to get better answer … it being a smart Ar$3 Tut.

I thought this forum was there to help people not to treat them poorly or like they are stupid!

I am not treating you like you are stupid, @derek. I am asking for more information, because you have not yet given enough to know how to answer.

Provision for taxes in accounting depends on your legal form of organization under the law of your jurisdiction. If you are not a sole trader, how is your business organized?

Hi Tut ,

I appolgise as sometimes, when you read responses it just appears that way.

I have retired and moved interstate and enjoying retirement, I dont get a pension as im too young. So im surviving on savings.

My old employer has asked me if i can help them with any Computer issues till they find a replacement.
So far I have done a few jobs for them but I don’t know if this will continue or not.

I have invoiced them using an ABN and my accountant has advised me that this income comes under Personal Services Income. I did questions if I was a sole trader, but her response was no, it is considered as PSI.

Is the ABN for a company created to conduct your IT support work from, possibly with you as the sole director. In which case the 30% is probably the constant rate company taxation on business profits.

If the ABN is your ABN then I think that would mean you are conducting business as a sole trader. In which case your accountants comment confuses me and the 30% would be an estimation of your current marginal tax rate.

If the ABN is for a trust, requiring distribution of all profit each financial year. Then the 30% is again an estimate of your marginal tax rate for which you will be liable when trust profits are distributed to you.

These trading structures are all different so best represented by corresponding different modelling in Manger to achieve the required reporting. Hence my guesses and Tut’s questions.

As @Patch implies, the advice of your accountant seems at odds with other information you have provided. I would double check that. If it is correct, something else is missing.

Thank you Tut and Patch, it has me confused also, as the ABN is in my name and I thought I would be a sole trader. I will seek advise from another accountant and will post back my finding Again thank you both for taking the time to help.

I assume you are referring to the ATO Personal Services Income. An overview of which is: if in your business you have a customer where your day to day activities approximate that of you being an employee of that customer, then the ATO will only allow you deductions equivalent to you being and employee of that customer. And in doesn’t make any difference if you structure your business as a sole trader, company or trust.

I suspect you are a sole trader and at least part of your income will be classified as “Personal Services Income”. The implications if which is a restriction in the deductions allowed against that income.

Which means my initial suggestion is still applicable, which I still prefer rather than Tut’s modification.


  • The taxes all belong together. The requirement to pay them at a future date is the same.

  • To look at it another way, if you converted your business to a company; company tax liability would be documented as a liability in a similar location. Doing so enables dispersement of company profit prior to actual payment of company income tax. And in this case if you also wanted to track personal finances you would need another Manager business, in which personal income tax is again best placed in the same location, again to enable dispersement of profit prior to actual payment of personal income tax.

  • When operating as a sole trader these two Manager business must be merged into one. Your business becomes part of your personal financial records. And again income tax is best placed in the same location, again to enable dispersement of profit prior to actual payment of income tax.

Combining business expenses (mostly deductible) and personal expenses (mostly non deductible) does require care in constructing Manages chart of accounts to ensure the Profit and loss calculates net taxable income for your business, then your personal net taxable income, then your net personal income. This is to ensure the information required to be reported to the tax department is readily available, as well as information vital for personal financial management.

In practice when combining the accounting activities of a business with other personal accounting activities, as must occur in a sole traders books. There is a choice how much of the personal non deductible activity is entered into your accounting package, and how much is grouped in “Owners drawings”. There is however still a benefit of retaining income tax liability to enable dispersement of profit prior to actual payment of income tax.

Note all of the above is a function of what I personally demand of my accounting records, and is not consistent with wide spread accounting practice.

I won’t argue with the outcome of @Patch’s recommended approach. Liabilities and Equity are both on the credit side of the accounting equation. The reasons for my recommendation are:

  • Income tax liabilities for proprietors or sole traders (choose your terminology) in most jurisdictions are considered obligations of the taxpayer, not of the business. (Consider a case where a single taxpayer owns multiple businesses, all proprietorships. Taxable profit from all would be reported as various sources of income by the taxpayer, not as tax paid by any one business. But that, of course, is subject to the vagaries of local law.)
  • Charts of accounts should be set up for the present situation. If a sole trader later converts to a different form of organization, that constitutes ending of one business and beginning of another in most jurisdictions. Structuring your accounts for some unlikely future violates the going concern principle of accounting.
  • Personal and business records should not be mixed in the first place. This violates the economic entity principle of accounting.

For a small business like yours, @derek, any accounting methods and practices that deliver the right answer to the tax authority will most likely get you by. But the more closely you adhere to the accounting standards in use in your jurisdiction, the easier it will be to satisfy them if they come calling with questions or audit your filings.

1 Like