Stock/Inventory Management

Kindly assist; i have a challenge in accounting for non sale-able items in Manager.
is there any way stock items(which are not meant for sale but facilitate the business e.g beans,food & stationery items in a school) can be tracked i.e quantity movement?

Yes it is possible but you will also need a supporting system of administration forms
Simply, you put those items into stock/inventory in the normal way - Purchase Invoice.
Any usage of those item needs to be effectively recorded on a form as they are removed from the storage areas.
At the end of the day/week/month you process those forms as “Inventory Write Offs”.
Refer to Manager Cloud for a brief summary

The one thing you need to balance out is the values involved v’s the effort involved.
Probably more effective with some items compared to other items.
e.g. Do you need to track a packet of paper clips.

@Innovate_Maxima_Inte, inventory items in Manager are normally conceived of as goods held for sale or production. Most operating supplies are simply recorded as expenses, especially since there is no need to account for cost of goods sold. Various methods are available for tracking materials on hand so you know when to reorder more. An internet search will turn up a variety of commercial products as well as ideas for simpler, do-it-yourself approaches. You may wish to discuss this with an accountant to be sure you are doing everything legally necessary for an organization of your type.

Much appreciated to you all. It worked for us and it is surprising to know that by the time you sent me a reply, I had already navigated through the system to find this solution myself. I was just happy that I got confirmation of this practice from you. But I appreciate your feedback and timely assistance all the time.

Thanks for the very straightforward software!

I have a question about non-sale disposal of inventory. I’m trying to account for disposal of inventory (books) in three ways: a) complimentary copies sent to potential reviewers; b) complimentary copies sent to people who have helped with the production of the book; and c) copies withdrawn by one of the partners to use as personal gifts.

I’ve dealt with a) and b) by creating a sale with a price of zero. Is this OK, or should I be using write-off?
For c) I want the inventory items to be shown in the partner’s capital account as a drawing at the cost (not sale price) of the items. How should I do this?

Many thanks.

For (a) & (b) keep doing this way as you are selling them for free rather then writing them off.
For (c) use Expense Claims. If you are using the Capital Accounts tab then the Partners will be automatically listed Expense Claim Payers and any Expense Claim will be directly posted to the Partner’s Capital Account

If you aren’t using the Capital Accounts tab, then under Settings - Expense Claim Payers create them. Then the Expense Claim will be posted to the BS Liability - Expense Claim account, you can then transfer the value by Journal to the Partner Capital Account.

Under Guides - read the Expenses Claims guide

This is a slight misstatement. In the situation described, partners will appear under the Members type when creating an expense claim, not Expense Claim Payers. The results will be as stated. The Guide referred to is below:

The Guide also explains how and why you might set things up so partners were in more than one category.

But I disagree in general with the advice to record withdrawal of inventory for personal use via an expense claim. Expense claims record payment of company expenses from private funds. These circumstances do not involve any payment. A straight journal entry seems more appropriate.

I seem to have caused a controversy!

The journal entry seems to make more sense to me, but I’m not sure how it would be done. Reduction of the value of the inventory can be balanced by the partner’s withdrawal, but presumably would not lead to an adjustment in the inventory stock.

In the Journal you can add an inventory item which will adjust the Quantity.

No controversy, just terminology usage.
If you are using the Capital Accounts tab then the Partners will be automatically listed under the Expense Claim’s Payers field

Thanks for your help, both.

What made most sense to me was to call it a negative expenses claim, and it achieves the required effect.

Yeah, I also thought of that, but didn’t want to confuse the issue. Lots of users get confused when anyone mentions negative inputs.