Inventory - stock levels, corrections, etc

Hi all!! We have been using Manager quite a while and although I absolutely LOVE Manager, I am really struggling with my inventory.

I know you can create an inventory and non-inventory item.
Under non-inventory we mostly put tools or machinery we buy.

In our inventory - our stock levels is NEVER the same or near as our actual stock take levels.
How do I then adjust the stock quantity to make sure the correct stock is shown in Manager?

We have also noticed a lot of our consumables aren’t tracking correctly - which I completely understand why! We bring in the stock through Goods Received and the Purchase Invoice, but we can’t possibly invoice our clients for every single screw, glue, thinners, etc we used to do a service for our clients, so we created a Consumables inventory item to charge them a certain % for consumables used. So I understand that there will be a discrepancy here as we aren’t logging the actual consumables used out.

I have started logging all consumables taken out of our shop to our workshop and wanted to find out how to bring these items in, so they can go off of the inventory? If I do a write off of inventory - it shows an amount in the debit side of the specific inventory item and if I do a sales invoice with zero cost amount, it shows an amount on the credit side of the specific inventory item.

I would really help any guidance with the inventory and how to make sure everything gets logged properly and correctly as I tried to explain above* Thank you very much!!

Are these guides of any use?
Write off inventory | Manager
Write on inventory | Manager

Unfortunately not - it more explains how to do it. Not how it affects the inventory totals and amounts in the situations explained above. Thank you!

Not quite sure I understand how you are accounting for your inventory at the moment.

You purchase the individual items and receive them into the Inventory on Hand account using Purchase Invoices/Goods Received Note

You charge your customers using a fictitious Inventory Item Consumables - this will be debited to the Cost of Sales account

But it doesn’t have an average price so nothing gets added to the Cost of Sales

Is this correct?

I wonder why you bother keeping track of the consumables as inventory items at all - is it really necessary?

Yes as the inventory gets booked in when we do the invoicing, so at the moment it is skyrocketing our inventory on hand under our balance sheet and showing our assets as really high, when it is actually a lot less as we don’t have the inventory any more.

It is balanced by the negative inventory on your fictitious Consumables inventory Item except as you do not have an purchase invoice associated with that, it is valued at zero cost

If you charge your customers a price for this, then your profits are being over-stated as there is no cost associated with it and your balance Sheet is out of kilter as well as the negative inventory is not valued either.

Again, I don’t think this is the way to handle this kind of stock - unless the total value is material to the business - I would favour just adding all purchases of this type to an expense account.

Unless your stock varies a lot from one year to the next, it should be good enough to pass an audit but check with your accountants

That is OK for Low value items, but higher value items should be in fixed assets and depreciated. Tax authorities usually have a threshold amount where items need to be capitalised to fixed assets and depreciated.

Create an expense account in the P&L called say, Workshop Materials, and allocate to this account, using an Inventory Write Off transaction, when a box of items, drum of thinners, glue etc is taken from inventory to use in the workshop. The Inventory cost (average) will be credited to inventory and debited to Workshop materials.

When charging materials cost to your customers this should go to sales or some other income account.

I do invoice the items bought (purchase), that is how they are brought into stock with a good’s receipt as well and I do invoice the clients (sale) so there is an in and out. BUT where my problem comes in, is I bring the items in separately per item and I invoice the clients under consumables. So it isn’t the same item code coming in and going out as I can’t invoice the client for every consumable item used separately. We work out our consumables to the client on a % base of the total invoice to cover the consumables used.

The problem comes in to get the actual items that was booked in and is lying under the Inventory on Hand tab and it just keeps getting higher, instead of balancing out.

I am going to look into the expense account and to options AJD mentioned as well*

Thank you!

Thank you very much for your feedback! It makes it a bit more clear for me!

We don’t really use the Non-Inventory option, so this is really just for once of stuff that doesn’t fall into our inventory options. If I may ask, where is Fixed assets under manager or is it a new Account or Group under the Balance sheet that I should create?

I will definitely create the Workshop Materials account and see if that is my solution I have been looking for! Thank you very much

Click on “Customise” (below the left hand tabs) and select Fixed Assets and Depreciation entries

The consumable charge to customers should not be recorded as an Inventory item.

Under what should I then invoice the consumables to the customers?

It was interesting, as I read this entire thread, to notice that you identified the cause of your problem on your own—in the very first post. You stated it best in the quote above from post #9. Let me say it another way: you have inventory that only comes in and consumable items (lumped together) that only go out. Both factors are problems, and neither offsets the other. If they were offsetting, they would still be wrong, but would make it even harder to notice.

When your business uses consumable shop supplies, you must make a fundamental choice. Will you:

1. Purchase, monitor, and track the consumables as inventory items, through a series of accounting transactions, OR
  2. Handle them as current expenses.

In each phase of purchase or consumption, you can only do one or the other. Right now, you are trying to do some of both. (At the end of this post, I will touch on a hybrid method.) The choice between those options will be influenced by several considerations, including:

• Value of the consumables
  • Rate of consumption of the consumables, notably whether they are typically consumed within a single accounting period
  • Ease or difficulty of tracking measurable units of consumption (such as number of screws used, amount of thinner consumed on a job, expiration of glue once a container is opened or components are mixed, and so forth)
  • Local rules on capitalization (as mentioned by @AJD)

As you consider your choice, remember some accounting principles, as well as characteristics and features of Manager:

• Something cannot be both a fixed asset and a consumable supply. It’s own characteristics and the nature of your use will determine which it is. You should have a firm policy on this (preferably written) consistent with local law and accounting standards.
  • Non-inventory items in Manager are simply shortcuts for data entry. They standardize data and make it easy to remember account posting decisions. But they do not help track quantities, average costs, or profitability in any way. Whether you use them or not, they do not enter into the decision on how to treat consumable supplies. But they can be convenient as a way of charging customers for their use. Just understand that you could do exactly the same things with manual line item entries, but not as quickly.

Now, let’s return to the numbered options above on how to treat consumables. If you choose Option 1, you obviously can monitor incoming consumables through purchase invoices and/or payments. The value and quantity on hand will go up when you buy them. To record their use, you can sell them as individual items through sales invoices and/or receipts. But you would need to record at least an estimate of the amount used on relevant sales transactions. That is difficult to remember and will lead to stock take errors that must eventually be corrected with either inventory write-offs or journal entry write-ons.

You can also record consumption of consumable inventory items through production orders. But that presumes they are consumed to produce other finished inventory items. This would not be feasible if, for example, you simply used them to build a custom product that did not pass through your inventory, but was delivered directly to the customer. It will probably also lead to the need for write-offs or write-ons.

If you choose Option 2, simply buy the consumables, posting their cost to an appropriate expense account. Non-inventory items can be set up to make this quicker, but their use would be entirely discretionary. Once you have purchased them, you never have to track or count them again.

Since non-inventory items are not tracked, they can also be used as a way to charge customers for their costs (with or without additional markup). Simply add the non-inventory item to a sales invoice or cash receipt. Auto mechanics frequently do this by adding a “shop charge” or “hazardous material disposal fee” to your invoice, in addition to specific parts actually used for a repair. They make no attempt to assess the true cost of using the shop or disposing of hazardous waste on your specific repair. Instead, they estimate average costs over some period of time and simply tack on the extra. From an accounting standpoint, such add-ons are posted to an income account selected for the purpose.

As for the hybrid method I mentioned above, it is possible to purchase and track consumables as inventory items but periodically write some off to a consumable supply expense account. Under this approach, you might buy and stock large cases of screws, drums of thinner, and pallets of glue. When necessary (typically as you open a large but identifiable container), you create an inventory write-off, transferring the cost of the consumable to a consumable supply expense account. From that point, you can handle the consumable as though it was originally purchased as a consumable, rather than an inventory item. You can charge customers for it as a non-inventory item. Or you can just factor the cost of consumables into your pricing decisions for whatever you sell to the customer.

2 Likes