Starting Balance Equity for new LLC with investment Property

Thank you in advance for your help and advice. I will try and keep this brief.

My wife and I started a new LLC and purchased a rental property in our own names our of our own bank account. We also built up the LLC bank account out of our own bank account. I debited our “starting balance equity $67,506” which was the purchase price, plus closing costs. I then reflected debits to various asset, equity and liabilty accounts to break up the purchase based on purchase price, the mortgage, closing costs, down payment, land cost etc.

I debited and credited appropriately (I think). I “drew from” an “opening equity” equity account that I created. As I understand it, it should be the exact negative of the “opening balance equity” account to show that all of my startup funds were allocated appropriately to their accounts?

Did I need to create the “opening equity” account to debit from the “opening balance equity” account? I didn’t see any way to debit directly from the “opening balance equity” account on the journal entries.

Sorry it that is confusing, but I guess that is why I am asking the question.

Thanks,

Greg

Well, you got the confusing part right. :wink: Here’s some help.

Since you are in the USA, your LLC will be treated by the Internal Revenue Service as a partnership. So you need to establish capital accounts for you and your wife. See this Guide: Manager Cloud.

If I understand how you went about things correctly, you should not have any starting balance in those accounts, because you started the company with nothing.

Next, you need to set up the LLC’s bank account. Use a bank transaction to receive money into it, posting the transaction to two line items: the two capital accounts, selecting the Funds contributed subaccounts in each case. At that point, you will have debited your bank account by the total amount contributed and credit your and your wife’s capital accounts by your shares of the contribution.

For the rental property, you need to set up a fixed asset. Because you purchased it out of your own bank account, use two expense claims to record the purchase. See this Guide: Manager Cloud. Record your share on one expense claim, your wife’s share on another. Post both to the fixed asset. At this point, you will have debited Fixed assets for the basis of the property and credited your capital accounts for your shares of the purchase.

Further instructions are difficult, because you originally said you purchased the property out of your personal bank account. Later you mentioned a mortgage. So it sounds like you may have contributed a mortgage to the company. That is a little bit non-standard, but can be handled. Of course, the mortgage needs to end up as a liability on the company’s books. So you may need expense claims entered as negative amounts. Or you might decide to treat the mortgage as a personal obligation and count the proceeds of the loan as part of your original contribution of capital. This merits a conversation with an accountant to discuss how to get from what you actually did to where you want to go. There might even be tax advantages to keeping the loan personal. Sorry I can’t be more explicit.

Your various statements on equity are confusing. You mentioned “opening balance equity” several times. I assume you are referring to a Starting balance equity account that appeared spontaneously on your Summary page. If so, that is a sign that you set things up incorrectly. Manager requires Assets - Liabilities = Equity. If the books don’t balance based on your entries, Manager puts the difference into Starting balance equity until you can fix things. As long as that automatic account remains, you have errors in your accounting.

You also mentioned debiting “starting balance equity.” I’m not sure what you are referring to with that statement. But any contributions to equity, of which the capital accounts you should have are part, should be credits.

Additionally, you mentioned setting up an “opening equity” account. You should not have. Everything should have been done through your capital accounts. For a simple partnership like yours, the only accounts that would normally be in the Equity group are Capital accounts and Retained earnings. Capital accounts will have subsidiary ledgers for you and your wife. And each of you will have the three subaccounts: Funds contributed, Drawings, and Share of profit.

So…read some Guides, talk with an accountant, design a proper chart of accounts, and redo your initial entries. At that stage, if you have specific questions. please post them.

1 Like

Tut, thanks for the length and detailed response. I know there will be work yet to do, but I believe based on your response, setting up capital accounts will solve many of my issues. I’ll do research from there. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! That is exactly what I need.