Show Tax amount in Pay Money

I have a lot of out of pocket expenses - home business and personal credit cards used.

I periodically make a single reimbursement transaction which would include a sometimes large number of receipts.

Is it possible to display the tax amount I.e. like the attached image, as I use this method to double check I am entering the transaction values correctly by confirming the gst calculated against the gst recorded on the receipt.

Doing that would seriously mess up your tax payable accounts because there is no tax due on your reimbursement of personal expenditures. It sounds like you are a sole trader, so your periodic reimbursements are, from a tax standpoint, just transferring money from one pocket to another. The tax was handled at the time of the original transaction.

The way to handle payment for business expenses from personal funds in Manager is with Expense Claims. An expense claim will create a liability on your balance sheet, which you can clear either through reimbursement or by transferring it to your owner’s equity. Depending on how you are organized and whether you have created a capital account for yourself, you may need to create yourself as an expense claim payer. There have been several extensive discussions about how to use expense claims on this forum.

Ok, just to clarify, they are business expenses, but paid for using a personal credit card.

Thanks for the heads up on using expense claims instead. I will look into that.

This is exactly what Expense Claims are meant for. And the amount you enter for a purchase should include the tax you paid at the time.

Ok, just had a play with expense account. Here are my observations.

1 My original query still stands.
It would be really useful to me to see the gst portion as I enter each line so I can confirm the amount is entered correctly with the receipt. This is particularly important when I have a grocery receipt that has some gst items and some non-gst items. (This would be resources for program delivery).

2 I have had a look on the forum but the purpose of the Payee field is a little unclear to me.
I.e. The Payer is the Employee to whom I am reimbursing the amount of money too.
Who is the Payee? It serves as a contact in the Clearing Account but it appears to me to be nothing more than a description field. Am I missing something?

3 The mechanism to actually make the payment appears to require a lot of navigation and remembering/writing down amounts.
It seems to me, that the Expense Claim view would benefit from a Spend Money button.

4 The net result is identical to my original transaction, but with a lot more hoops.
It might be that as I only reimburse expenses to one person, this module might be unnecessary for me.

The problem with your desire is that you are neither paying or charging GST to the employee (yourself in this case), so Manager’s built-in tax calculation feature cannot be used because it will throw off the built-in tax calculations and reports. If you insist on tracking this, I think the way to do it is to create a separate expense account named something like GST paid on expense claims and add the tax as a separate line item in the expense claim. Manager will treat this like any other expense account, such as Utilities or Supplies and not mix it with the built-in control accounts. Depending on your tax jurisdiction, knowledge of GST paid may be useless.

This is the person/merchant/hotel/airline or whoever the Payer gave money to for the business expense.

This cannot be, because no company funds are being spent. An expense claim records a liability of the company to the payer for money already spent. Spend/Receive/Transfer Money can only occur in cash accounts. If you find this confusing, you might now understand why it is poor practice to pay business expenses from personal funds. This is why tax professionals always recommend separate business accounts. One way to simplify some of this is to have a petty cash fund for the business so you don’t have to involve the payer.

I disagree. Recording the purchases is no more complex. To properly allocate the various purchases to the correct accounts, you need to enter each as a line item somewhere, so why not do it properly as an expense claim? And you now need to enter only a single-line clearing transaction to either reimburse yourself or transfer the liability to owner’s equity. The difference between what you were doing before and this proper use of Manager’s features is only which transaction includes the line item details.

That’s not how the ATO see it: https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/In-detail/Rules-for-specific-transactions/Employee-reimbursements/Employee-reimbursements-and-GST/
The example from their site:

Example – reimbursement of a work-related expense

Alexandra employs Petra in her advertising agency. Petra purchases taxable craft materials for a client presentation that she is responsible for. The materials cost Petra $90. The expense is for Petra’s work in the agency and Alexandra’s policy is to reimburse these expenses if tax invoices are presented. Petra makes a claim for her expense with the receipts attached and Alexandra pays her $90.

Alexandra is entitled to a GST credit on the reimbursement she pays Petra for her purchase. Alexandra can claim the GST credit as Petra has given her a tax invoice for the purchase.

Ok, terminology aside, when viewing the expense record, a button which enables the company to create a record in the cash account, to reflect the monetary reimbursement the company makes to the employee.

Just like the button in the Purchase Invoice view screen saying Spend money. :grin:

Ok, that seems ok if I were making one expense claim for one expenditure of money, but in my case, I create a single reimbursement which might include 10 receipts on it. But I can work with that, and just use that field as a description.

OK. If you reread my earlier post, you will see I said that depending on your jurisdiction, the GST knowledge might be useless. In your case, apparently, it is not useless. So my suggestion that you create a separate expense account to track it applies. You still shouldn’t use Manager’s built-in tax codes, because the tax has already been paid. You just need an account that shows how much was reimbursed so you can claim the reimbursement at tax time.

This is not a problem, because the individual expense claims are fully recorded and documented when entered. The reimbursement transaction is a single line item for the total reimbursement. There is no need to re-enter all the individual expenses that make up the balance of the Expense claims account.