Server Edition Installation

Good Day…

I am trying to install the server edition.In my system using ubuntu version 16.04
and getting an error when running this command. anyone Pleas help me to fix the Whats the mistake.

Command: apt-get install -y mono-complete
Output:
E: Type ‘Executing:’ is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
E: Type ‘Executing:’ is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.

Before that i tried this command, i got the message like this.

Command:apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF echo “deb Index of /repo/debian wheezy main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list apt-get update
Output:
Executing: /tmp/tmp.HKNfFUCpdT/gpg.1.sh --keyserver
hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80
–recv-keys
3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
echo
deb Index of /repo/debian wheezy main
gpg: “echo” not a key ID: skipping
gpg: “deb Index of /repo/debian wheezy main” not a key ID: skipping
gpg: requesting key D3D831EF from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key D3D831EF: public key “Xamarin Public Jenkins (auto-signing) releng@xamarin.com” imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)

Please any help to fix this problem.

1 Like

This will probably not be officially sanctioned, but I think I would be inclined to hash-out the entry in the
mono-xamarin.list and then just use the version of mono maintained by Ubuntu instead

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Can you please give some clarity with what’s the exact command i need type and fix the problem.
Thanks

The complete install process and command should be found here for Ubuntu. Ubuntu | Manager

It may be worth your while once in terminal on your system to carry out a sudo -i command to process your install with root privileges. Then follow the steps here Ubuntu | Manager in the order presented.

OK - the file “/etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list” is basically pointing your machine to a debian repository from where your machine should (on a good day) get it’s information and files from. However, in this case it appears that it is failing to do that, as indicated by the complaint “E: The list of sources could not be read.”
If you edit that file simply by placing a “#” before the line within it, the machine will simply treat it as read-only text and take no further action.
So, for example, using the nano editor you could use this command
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
inside that file you will see a line that says

deb Index of /repo/debian wheezy main

just put a ## in front of that line so it now reads

## deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main
and save

Now run

sudo apt-get update && upgrade

to refresh the caches and apply any available updates, then

sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Your macine will now look to the standard Ubuntu repositories for Mono and not Debian Wheezy

This will have the effect of replacing Section 1 of the install instructions. After that, just continue with the standard install instructions, starting at section 2

Even after doing this the Error seems to persist. Can be this classified as a bug. As Server installation on Ubuntu is failing.

After following below instructions from Redirecting…, It worked

Ubuntu 16.04
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
echo “deb Index of /repo/ubuntu xenial main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official.list
sudo apt-get update

Lubos will have to update the installation instructions.