Recording gratuity expenses

We have employees who have left the company and we need to pay them back their gratuities. However, we may release these funds in the next three months. I need this liability to appear in our records. How should I record it?

There are various ways to dio this

  1. Use a journal entry to debit an expense account and credit the Employee Clearing Account/employee with the amount
  2. Create an expense claim for the amount
  3. Use a Payslip to record the amount
  4. Setup a new liability account and use a journal entry to record the amount