Receipt cheque dates

suppose i received a payment in cheque on 01-01-20xx and cheque date is 05-01-20xx. what method i have read in guide of Manager is to enter receipt cheque in checking account and enter cheque status as pending but, because i have 2 bank accounts, i usually enter that receipt in account i have created namely cheque on hand , then on the date when cheque has been cleared, i transfer than payment form cheque on hand to the bank account when cheque is deposited.
question is, is it possible that i enter receipt in cheque, enter cheque date, and at the day of cheque date, Manager would inform me, or if somehow i can see a date wise list of cheques , so i can check if any cheque is needed to be deposited today.

this is the recommended approach. by following this method you can easily identify on the previous day the cheques that need to be deposited on the next day.
you can check the Pending deposits column in you Bank Accounts tab which will show you a list of the upcoming cheques.

My personal recommendation would be to keep post-dated cheques out of your Manager records entirely. Keep a file of post-dated cheques, in date order. Regularly check the file for any cheques eligible for deposit.

The way you are currently doing things, you distort your balance sheet by including assets that are nothing more than useless pieces of paper until their dates come around. A post-dated cheque is like a cheque sent through the mail that has not yet arrived. It is like having a piece of notepaper on which customers have written, “Someday I will pay you, but not yet.”

2 Likes

thanks for your quick reply.
but in the way you suggested (keeping post dated cheques aside) manager will show that certain amount is due on that party, however they have paid cheque, mean we can’t ask the party for payment, but manager will show that bill is due on them.

Actually, the customer who gives you a post-dated cheque has not paid you. The financial instrument (the post-dated cheque) is not currently negotiable. You have no way of converting it into funds. And, by the time the cheque’s issue date arrives, the bank account on which it was drawn could be closed, the customer could be bankrupt, and you could be looking at a permanently uncollectible debt.

In many—though not all—countries, post-dated cheques are illegal for exactly these reasons. My position would be that, until the customer provides you a negotiable instrument, you have not been paid. So you are still entitled to ask for payment. If post-dated cheques are legal in your jurisdiction, the decision to take on the risk of accepting them as payment for valid debts is yours to make. But I never would.

But I am straying from the use of Manager. If you determine you wish to accept post-dated cheques, I think the best thing to do is just categorize them as Pending. You should routinely be reviewing your Pending deposits regardless in order to uncover potential problems and mark as Cleared those that have. Sometimes, for example, a perfectly good deposit is mishandled by the bank and requires attention.

2 Likes

i understood.
thanks for your detailed reply.