Problem: disposal asset items new payment and receipts system

I first had a different title only to realize that obviously I need the problem fixed one-way or another as well so rather than ideas it is a problem.

Please see post further below of the real problem with the new payment and receipts system not allowing disposal of asset items under main asset grouping.

I define control accounts for each group of assets to achieve this function Purchase fixed assets | Manager or in more detail Accum. Depreciation/Depreciation expense: Custom control/expense accounts - #4 by Patch
Am I missing something?

I agree reporting could be improved Additional report for Fixed Asset

Please note that I am referring to disposal of fixed asset items that are grouped under one fixed asset entry, this is not possible for the items only for the group.

I think what you are asking for is the control account being visible it the asset tab so we can sort / search by it then drill down. Which I think is related to the idea I linked above.

Not really, please see screenshots below:

List of Asset Groups:
Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 03.22.01

Under Large Appliances there are a number of items:
Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 03.23.11

However, there is only the possibility to enable “Disposed fixed asset” at the group (in this case Large Appliance) level and not the item level.
Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 03.22.27

Is this what you are trying to do Disposing of a part of a fixed asset - worked example

For Manager to dispose of an asset, the asset (as you have defined it) must be disposed. The solutions linked describes how to split an asset at disposal time into the item which has actually been disposed and the residual which is retained.

By the way, what you have defined as Fixed assets, I would define as control accounts. Then define fixed assets for each physical item, grouping then by the new control accounts. Totals can be displayed in the summary page as describe in the detailed link in my first post above.

No, I have complete fixed asset items such as multiple buildings under the main ones, each purchased separately and thus a list of them under for example Buildings. Same for Fixtures, Equipment, etc. Multiple discrete items under each. The work of splitting as in the example is overly cumbersome when you have hundreds of asset items. I currently just reassign the asset item by editing it to a disposal account as a receipt with a revised value. With the change to receipts and payments that does not seem possible anymore. So I am looking for a solution.

Your aversion to categorising data in Manager is very different to mine. If I buy a new building, creating a new fixed asset for it in Manager seams like not an unreasonable investment in time for me. The result is I then have an asset register in Manager which can be grouped, depreciated and disposed of as I find convenient. Grouping is done via the Chart of Accounts

An asset is then created for each independently tracked item eg individual building, each car or furniture set.

The summary page then shows the totals (at cost, cumulative depreciation, book value, current period depreciation) for each class of asset. In this example there is just one asset in each class which makes checking set up functionality easier for demonstration purposes but not how it is used in practice.

I do not believe Manager nor most jurisdiction allow creating arbitrary pools of assets then tracking and depreciating the pool. Sure you can manually do the sums but then why bother using accounting software.

1 Like