New Audit Trail (aka History)

I think this is great idea. Smaller History button could be on every screen as well which would show history relevant to that screen (and sub-screens if applicable).

For example, History for Settings tab would show changes to anything to do with Settings. History for Sales Invoices tab would show history for all sales invoices. History for specific invoice would show history relevant to that invoice only etc.

Currently, the only constrain I have in Undo is that you can only undo last changes. For example, you can’t undo invoice update if it was updated at later time by someone else. You need to undo their change first. Sure I could add more constraints but then you would find system fighting with you more than you’d like. If you want to undo bunch of stuff, it shouldn’t matter in which order it is done. Or there could be Undo/Redo function.

Maybe undone operations could just become “gray” and you can Redo them. That way it’s not lost.

Actually, having history in the program, I no longer need these scary warnings to backup before any batch update. Batch update becomes “safe” operation because it can be easily undone. There is global Find & Recode and global Find & Merge I’m working on and especially Find & Merge has potential to change many records with a single click. Having ability to undo is important.

I will fix this today.

The database size should not grow that rapidly. Also storage is cheap. Not a concern but there will be ability to purge history.

Yeah, but single history line can represent change to 1000 items when it comes to batch operations.

In Manager speak, only users having Full access to business can see history for the business. Users with Limited access can’t.

No, Undo is crucial as a foundation for more types of batch operations I’m planning to add. For example, Find & Merge on tracking codes. You merge two tracking codes into one which can affect thousands of transactions. Takes a few clicks to merge. Shouldn’t take more than a few clicks to unmerge too in case you made a mistake.

3 Likes

This comment made me remember when I requested for a document level history button, where a user with full access could view the history of a document, see here Audit trail Feature suggestion (User History on Documents)

This new feature is great and definitely in the right direction to making Manager a sought after Accounting Software. I appreciate all the inputs others are giving for improvement to the feature. I will enjoy its use for now and post suggestions when they come up. Thanks a lot, @lubos

Ok, I can understand the rationale behind an Undo on batch updates and such like but I feel that having the possibilty of deleting accounting records without any trace can only lead to all sorts of problems down the line - whether with auditors or tax authority.

Yes, storage is cheap, especially from the viewpoint of somebody already paying for access to server farms. But there is more to think about. What about someone who wants to email a backup file to an accountant and runs into an attachment size limit? Likewise, users might need to upload accounting records to attorney’s portals. 5MB limits are fairly common. A few years in business with a modest number of attachments can easily outstrip that.

The backup function will be improved so you can choose what to include in the backup. If you want the smallest database possible, you would backup without emails, history and attachments.

4 Likes

Excellent Idea !

From purely a user interface perspective separate physical buttons are not essential. If could function in an analogous manner to context sensitive help. The button always in the same place but the results depend on what the user is currently doing.

I agree behind the button will be code specific to the current screen.

But separate buttons for each screen could clearly achieve an identical function.

The location of History button is on “business” level within user interface just like Backup button is. This button will give you history over the whole business. Just like backup button gives you backup of the whole business. Contextual history buttons will be elsewhere.

1 Like

Thank you @lubos for this awaited feature.

I might be wrong, but I think there should be a third category for Auditors, where they can view History without the need to give them full access.

@lubos very nice improvement.

Please can we search on “Date” or rather a period in time. This will help with what might have been altered, added etc at a particular point in time by whom. At the moment it delivers results for user and description eg. Invoice Number etc.
I think more fields are needed or whatever for search capability on customer and supplier.
All in all a very much needed feature, thank you.

Thanks @lubos and Team for new audit trail
It’s very useful features for us
We will test and provide feedback

You have been able to do this from the first moment History was implemented.

No - Sorry to say in Server version 20.7.16 nothing under the date column is currently searchable in the History. Also the date is shown is in US date format which not crucial to us but would be great to see as dd/mm/yyyy

@compuit I will be adding better filtering capabilities but right now it’s not important considering everyone’s history is very short.

Yep the history has potential to grow - One small entity already has 110 entries in 9hrs

If I can make a little suggestion, I would make the “view” a report for the Chartered Auditor so I would add:

1. as a title, the whole Description from “History List”, ie: Create “Journal Entry — 2020000005”
  2. the user also in the “view”

I would make the report savable in PDF and printable.

Just some final considerations.
Why not delete the old “Audit Trial” section and rename the new one from “History” to “Audit Trial” since it’s a more standard way to call it in accounting?
Is this new listing going to be querable in the new “Custom Report” section?

Thanks @lubos for you great job of the last weeks!

@lubos I know this is still a new feature and requires more touch ups. Just to give you a heads up.

1. Deleted transaction doesn’t show reference which I think should appear like other actions: create/update
  2. Changes made to custom fields doesn’t show up

Thank you so much for the update everybody was looking forward to.

I totally Agree