Manager software testing queries

Dear All,

I am new to the forum, found Manager very useful software and testing it for my startups ideas in Pakistan. Currently we started one and its on Excel but as an accountant, I know it cant last more than 3 months so need to convert to a software for which I found Manager ideal (VERSION 17.7.0).

I am currently testing with dummy data and putting all sorts of situations and seeing where the entries go. Some things I wish to clarify with seniors, correct me please if my understanding is flawed.

1. In inventory summary screen, I seen 2 lines for purchase invoice. I assume it is due to 2 lines of items in the purchase invoice (though they are same item), one list for normal purchase, one line for free of cost purchase.

2. In inventory summary screen, I seen 2 lines for sales invoice. I assume it is due to 2 lines of items in the sales invoice (though they are same item), one list for normal sales, one line for free of cost sales.

3. In inventory summary screen, I seen 4 lines all blank (as no value). The GRN itself has 2 item lines only. What are the extra lines for?

4. Purchase invoice does not have serial numbers. How can I correct that?

5. Is there a list available of all default accounts that keep appearing from time to time so I can enable and use them since I cannot delete them anyway.

6. Is there a way to track automatically (Inventory to COGS movement) for different items of inventory, like inventory purchase price in one COGS account, freight in separate COGS account, any other charges in another account for analysis?

7. Is there a way to set and display all inventory item price lists (original price and discounted price)?

Manager shows reports for everything you have entered in the particular forms. To get a basic understanding of everything please read the guides before you get your business running on Manager. https://www.manager.io/guides

Purchase invoices have their own serial numbers which are provided by your supplier. So it is not necessary to have automatic numbering for them. You will have to enter their invoice number as your purchase invoice number.

Most accounts are automatically selected and you can also manually select them under the Accounts column when making any entry. You can view and add accounts as per your needs in the Chart of accounts under Settings.

You can create necessary expense accounts under Chart of accounts and select these accounts while making appropriate entries. These will be shown separately with respect to the accounts in the Summary section.

You can set the Cost price and Selling price for every inventory item when you create them. The average price is automatically calculated. All three are shown as columns under Inventory items.

There is a table in this Guide: http://www.manager.io/guides/build-a-chart-of-accounts/9181

@sharpdrivetek

Thanks for the clarification although I believe your answers are generic whereas my questions are specific. As I mentioned, I have not entered live data, it is only dummy data. Further, I have gone through the guides.

1. I still cannot understand why GRN has 2 lines but shows as 4 lines in inventory movement (snapshot in original post).

2. For serial numbers, it is more like a document control number as suppliers each have different numbering patterns so how do you know internally what is your cutoff purchase invoice if you do not maintain a purchase invoice serial yourself?

3. @Tut thanks for the table of default accounts.

4. For freight and other purchase costs to show separately, I guess the best way is to create non-inventory items and allocate to respective accounts, then select them while creating purchase invoices.

5. Inventory summary screen (snapshot below) only shows average cost but does not show sales and purchase price? Is there a way to add it to the inventory summary screen? I can get it from the batch update screen in Excel file but that is a workaround not a solution.

6. @lubos Is there a plan to implement batch import of transactions anytime soon (sales / purchases / expenses / receipts / payments / journal entries)? That will really save time for a startup and small business without dedicated accounting staff to focus more on commercial side and less on daily data entry.

Thank you for prompt responses.

From the Inventory Items tab, create a new inventory item or edit an existing item. On the create / edit screen there are fields for Purchase price and Sales price.

Once you have entered an amount into these fields, the Purchase Price and Sales Price columns will appear.

I don’t think anyone can understand your screen shots. You’ve shown the View screens rather than Edit screens, so we don’t see all information. That makes it hard to diagnose any problems, if they are present.

You also are not showing the Inventory Movement report. You appear to have shown a drill-down on some account named Inventory control account. Where did that come from? Did you create it yourself? If so, none of Manager’s inventory functions will work. You need to use the in-built accounts activated when you enabled the Inventory Items tab.

If you want or need this, you can use that field to do it. It just is not automatic.

You can take that approach, but such costs will not be included in the average cost of the inventory item.

There is no reason for a company adopting Manager to enter a lot of historical transactions. Just set starting balances for balance sheet accounts. Only unpaid sales and purchase invoices need to be entered.

Your screenshot shows a Summary / Inventory control account. Did you create that account yourself?

The built in Summary / Inventory on hand account has a quantity column, like this:

I’m not an account so I can only answer your question from what I have read on these forums. A Purchase Invoice is an accounting document and changes the value and quantity of goods that a company owns.

A Goods Receipt is not an accounting document so can not change the value and number of goods owned by a company.

The the balance sheet’s Inventory on hand is of course a reflection of what the company owns. So Goods Receipts are added and then the same quantity removed so that the number that the company owns is correct on the balance sheet.