Manager Server on Ubuntu Stopped working after update

@lubos Could you please have a look at the error below?

I have the Manager installation but it suddenly stopped working showing the error below. I have tried downgrading it is not working. I also tried with a new Data directory same error.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04.

Internal Error
Manager 23.8.24.1000
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Manager.Database.OfType[T]() in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/Manager/Database.cs:line 172
   at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.HttpHandler.GetCurrentUser() in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/ManagerServer/HttpHandlers/HttpHandler.cs:line 177
   at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.HttpHandler.IsAdministrator() in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/ManagerServer/HttpHandlers/HttpHandler.cs:line 119
   at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Template.Get() in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/ManagerServer/HttpHandlers/Template.cs:line 173
   at ManagerServer.Startup.<>c.<b__1_1>d.MoveNext() in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/ManagerServer/Startup.cs:line 109
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.ExceptionHandlerMiddlewareImpl.g__Awaited|8_0(ExceptionHandlerMiddlewareImpl middleware, HttpContext context, Task task)
WorkingSet64 updated.
Go back

Thank you in advance.

Update I seem to get a different error on the first load see below;

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'SQLite.SQLiteConnection' threw an exception.
 ---> System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load shared library 'e_sqlite3' or one of its dependencies. In order to help diagnose loading problems, consider using a tool like strace. If you're using glibc, consider setting the LD_DEBUG environment variable: 
/usr/share/manager-server/e_sqlite3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/share/manager-server/libe_sqlite3.so)
libe_sqlite3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/share/manager-server/e_sqlite3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/share/manager-server/libe_sqlite3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

at SQLitePCL.SQLite3Provider_e_sqlite3.NativeMethods.sqlite3_libversion_number()
   at SQLitePCL.SQLite3Provider_e_sqlite3.SQLitePCL.ISQLite3Provider.sqlite3_libversion_number()
   at SQLitePCL.raw.SetProvider(ISQLite3Provider imp)
   at SQLitePCL.Batteries_V2.Init()
   at SQLite.SQLiteConnection..cctor()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at SQLite.SQLiteConnection..ctor(String databasePath, Boolean storeDateTimeAsTicks)
   at Manager.ApplicationData.SQLiteConnection(String fileId) in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/Manager/ApplicationData.cs:line 410
   at Manager.ApplicationData.EnsureNotFresh(Database business, String entityId) in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/Manager/ApplicationData.cs:line 148
   at Manager.ApplicationData.Get(String entityId) in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/Manager/ApplicationData.cs:line 133
   at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.HttpHandler.GetCurrentUser() in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/ManagerServer/HttpHandlers/HttpHandler.cs:line 177
   at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.HttpHandler.IsAdministrator() in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/ManagerServer/HttpHandlers/HttpHandler.cs:line 119
   at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Template.Get() in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/ManagerServer/HttpHandlers/Template.cs:line 173
   at ManagerServer.Startup.<>c.<b__1_1>d.MoveNext() in /home/runner/work/Manager/Manager/ManagerServer/Startup.cs:line 109
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Diagnostics.ExceptionHandlerMiddlewareImpl.g__Awaited|8_0(ExceptionHandlerMiddlewareImpl middleware, HttpContext context, Task task)

I think you need to check if Ubuntu has the required versions of glibc installed -

No such file or directory
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28’

Check and see what version of glibc you are running and where it is installed. You may need to update glibc. Manager seems to be failing to start because it can’t find glibc or that version where it is expecting to find it - specifically the file libc.so.6

Yes. I checked that and found that GLIBC_2.27 is installed and is the latest available version for Ubuntu 18.04.

I have tried looking into updating but it seems it is not recommended. I am also unable to upgrade my Ubuntu release because it will break other applications I am running.

I don’t know if there is a way to sort of keep a local lib of the required version of the GLIBC for manager only not system-wide.

Downgrading should fix this but I am not sure what version to downgrade to on Manager. Also, could doing that break the database?

All internal errors reveal bugs.

When you upgrade Manager, your data file is upgraded to the latest database format. So downgrading Manager very often doesn’t work because the database file still requires the newer version of Manager.

If internal errors are always Manager bugs, then I would suggest waiting until Lubos has looked into the issue. However, be aware that glibc 2.27 was released in 2018 so that is 5 years ago. I see that glibc 2.27 is not EOL for Ubuntu 18.04 until 2028 which is why there is no newer glibc version for your distro. I would not recommend updating to a newer version for that distro, without asking people who use Ubuntu whether it’s safe to do so as I don’t know whether that version of Ubuntu can support a newer version.

My guess personally would be that the latest version of Manager requires at least glibc 2.28 or newer to work? Or there could be a bug with Manager. But as glibc 2.27 is five years old, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is too old to support newer versions of programs coming out. In IT terms, five years is a long time to support older libraries.

You will have to wait until Lubos confirms whether this is a Manager bug or whether you need a distro that supports a newer version of glibc.

Yeah I figured that as well I can see it is really a backwards compatibility issue the only reason why I am not upgrading my Ubuntu install is because of other software installed that does not support Ubuntu version newer than 18.04. I was able to downgrade successfully though so I guess I will have to stick with the version that works for now.

Thank you for the response though.

I too was able to downgrade and am back up and running. Using Centos7. @lubos will you be supporting the older GLIBs or must we upgrade the OS?

Thanks,

1 Like

Migrated to server running Centos 9 Stream. Updated manager-server to latest release. All worked as expected.

1 Like