Journal entries for bank transactions

You’ve actually raised a couple more points, @pete. There are journal entries (lower case) that are done for all transactions in an old-fashioned manual accounting system. They are then transferred to account ledgers. Then there are Journal Entries (upper case) done in Manager. As had been said many times, you cannot make Journal Entries that affect cash or bank accounts. But when you enter bank or cash transactions, these are the equivalent of journal entries behind the scenes. The reason you cannot make them directly as Journal Entries is to prevent mistakes when inexperienced users get confused by debits and credits.

If you would just enter the receipt as a bank transaction, you would be able to clone it as you want.

You’ve seemingly been fixated on the method of entry rather than the functionality. You can accomplish exactly what you want, just not in Manager’s Journal Entries tab. It’s actually faster and easier the way it’s implemented.

I also question whether you should be entering, in your example, the 1,000 in rent and expenses of 500. Your business only received 500. The expenses were paid by the agent and are not expenses of your business (unless the agent is actually paying them from your bank account).

Which is exactly what you are doing when you state “I go to edit the downloaded transaction (and) I can enter that info” and this is illustrated in the below Receive Money:

NO, what you have done via the Manager Receive Money is a CASH RECIEPTS JOURNAL entry which is a completely different journal from a Journal Entry, which one would understand from basic accounting tuition.

Yes you have repeatedly asked that and you have been repeatedly told that that is IMPOSSIBLE.

YES you can, if you go to the “View” mode of the above illustrated entry then you can very simply click on the 0%20Clone%20Butt button next to the 0%20Edit%20Butt button.

Then there is nothing stopping you from doing this, you just need to action it from the correct place as illustrated.

Well you shouldn’t be questioning this as the example provided is perfectly valid.
The expenses being deducted from the rental payment relate directly to the rental property and therefore are expenses of the rental business and aren’t expenses of the agent.

Mth 1 - Rent 1000, Paid 1000
Mth 2 - Rent 1000, Rates 500, Paid 500
All conducted via the agent’s trust account on behalf of the owner.

Hi All

I have decided I will no longer ask questions in the forum.
Please don’t respond to this email.
Enough is enough.
Thank you.

The internationally standard accounting process is to take up the Agents Statement (not the deposit) as a Journal Entry:
Credit - Rental Income > 1000
Debit - Land Rates >150
Debit - Strata Levies > 350
Debit - Agents Clearing account > 500

Then with your downloaded bank statement the deposit becomes:
Bank Rule - (Credit) Agents Clearing account > 500

Now you can “Clone” your Journal Entry every month and you will never need a Journal Entry requiring a Bank Account.

This standard accounting option was always available to you but you got “fixated” on Bank Account Journals which aren’t used anywhere in the accounting world.

But in conventional accounting systems bank transactions can be jouralized

If you want the features of other accounting systems, you should use them. Manager takes a different approach.

The guides at https://www.manager.io/guides/9820 clearly explain why and what can by done with journal entries. It clearly states.

In fact, no transaction involving the actual receipt or payment of funds by a business can be recorded via a journal entry.

Reasons for which are explained in detail in the linked guide.