Inventory on hand not reducing Quantity on hand

I am a new user, using version 16.7.42. I have read the guides for Inventory, but they don’t answer this question for me.

I created the starting balance. Then I created a journal entry to post the sale of the item. I chose Inventory on hand and then chose the correct item. I put quantity 1 and the cost of the item as a debit.

But when I go to Inventory Items, the Quantity on Hand for that item increased. I went back to the journal entry and changed the quantity to -1 (to show the sale). It reduced the Quantity on Hand.

But when I went back to look at the Inventory Item later, the Quantity on Hand had increased as though I had added an item (instead of selling an item).

So how do I post a journal entry of a sale (without using invoices, I don’t need them) so that the inventory reduces the quantity on hand?

I am new to this so feel free to point out the obvious. I am not an accountant and have only taken 1 brief course on accounting to understand the basics for my business. I have been using Excel to keep my records and wanted to try Manager to be prepared for when my business grows. I really like it - it’s pretty user friendly for a novice like me. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help.

You shouldn’t be using journal entries to do what you describe. When you sell something, create a sales invoice.

I suggest building a test company in Manager (you can have as many companies as you want). Play with it to understand how things work. Only then should you do things with your actual business records.

Ok. Thanks! I’ll try that. :slight_smile:

If you don’t need sales invoices as I assume that you are doing cash sales, then I would go to cash accounts, receive money and then select bank account or Till Cash or whatever and then select your inventory sales item(s).

1 Like

Yes, that works! Thank you so much. That is exactly what I needed. I appreciate your help.
Have a lovely day!

I would also recommend as Tut suggested that you setup a dummy account and play with Manager for a few days. This is the best way to learn how to use Manager. I spent a couple of weeks playing around with it, creating dummy transactions etc before I started using it for my accounts. It really helped.