GST Turnover

When running a GST report, which part would be considered GST turnover? (any particular part of the G1 - G20 or 1A, 1B ect).

If you need it to apply for JobKeeper payments you will need to follow the modifications to the GST turnover calculations, see - https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/In-detail/Applying-the-turnover-test/?anchor=Basictest

Thanks Tony. Not sure if I understand the modifications. Does it basically mean jobs done excluding GST? (I run a maintenance business).

It’s all the sales (accountants sometimes use the word supplies) made within your business in a given period, which for the purposes of JobKeeper is a month or quarter, minus any excluded sales.

Since I offer services (not goods per se), should I tally up jobs completed for the month of April (as payment can happen weeks, sometimes months later?
[As it stands, I will receive money at the end of this month for jobs done 2 months ago before the downturn of my business.]

@Matt, the questions you are asking have nothing to do with Manager. They are about local regulations. They may pertain to a national recovery program. You should ask them of local authorities.

True…i will have to give them a call.

In re to manager. I just upgraded to the latest version from a 2017 version and lost a little bit of data (most recent invoices and reconciliation) and an issue with invoices (stating overpaid invoices). Was the upgrade to big to handle?

You did not lose any data unless you took proactive steps to delete it. You may have issues with date settings. And reconciliations have changed, but those are not data, just reports that make use of data. Read the Guide: Reconcile bank accounts | Manager, which covers the new approach. As for overpaid sales invoices, that reflects a feature added quite a while ago (late in 2017). Read Resolve overpaid status on sales invoices | Manager.

To help you locate the invoices you think are missing, you will need to furnish more information about just why you think they are gone.

I have just had a look at the guides and decided it best to add a screen shot of the overpaid issue. There are about 6 pages of this going back to May 2019. I found the most recent invoices down just past this (on page 6).

Two points, @Matt:

1. Sales invoice now become overpaid only when a receipt is specifically tagged to them on a receipt. So you can go back and look up exactly how a given sales invoice was paid to diagnose the problem. Previously, any excess just rolled forward in the customer’s Accounts receivable register.

2. I notice all overpaid amounts look to be equal to 10%, suggesting you may have applied a tax code on the receipt as well as the sales invoice. The tax code should be applied to the sales invoice, not the receipt. The receiving of money is not a taxable event. That is just the customer’s discharge of the obligation created by the sales invoice. It was the sales invoice (the tax invoice) that imposed the tax.

Choose one of these transactions and show screen shots of the Edit screens for both the sales invoice and the corresponding receipt.

Are these the screenshots you need?

That is half of it. We need the Edit screen from the receipt on 9/4/2020. That is where the overpaid condition comes from.

There is your answer. The customer paid what was owed. But you told the program they paid 10% more in tax. So the invoice shows as overpaid when it should not. And your bank account will show more money than you really have. Your tax liability will also be wrong.

Ah ha…everytime i was marking as paid, I marked the GST thinking it needed to be there since I am now registered for GST. I will have to go in and remove GST/Tax on each of the receipts individually to sort this out.
Thanks again. I will be back if I find some other idiosyncrasies since the new version of manager seems to bring them to light.

You can use Batch Update. Read the Guide about it.

Hi Tut,
The other issue I discovered since doing the update was the bank transactions/reconciliation. The number are off. I found the reason. Since registering for GST, I started using the GST drop down box on each of the jobs and materials purchased for jobs. Under the latest version of manager, it has added 10% to each of the items and jobs.
QUOTESTION
I guess I didn’t need to click the drop down boxes (adding GST) in order to run GST reports or do I?

Yes you do. Tax-exclusive transactions add the tax to the price. Tax-inclusive transactions will back tax out of the price. But if you don’t apply a tax code, no tax is figured at all. The program doesn’t know or care whether you are registered.

ok. so the problem is: when looking over materials purchased for a job under bank accounts, the price is added as per receipt. GST is active via the box next to price (which I did manually at the time. However, under the updated version of manager, 10% more is added to the already tax inclusive price of the materials??? Hence 12 months of bank/reconciliation is now out of wack. Not sure what to do with this?

First, read the Guide: Choose between tax-exclusive and tax-inclusive prices | Manager.

Second, understand that when choosing between tax-inclusive and tax-exclusive pricing, you cannot enter the same prices. The result you describe results from entering a tax-inclusive price, applying the tax code, but not checkin the tax-inclusive box. You are applying tax to a price that already includes tax. And to make matters worse, you are taxing the tax already included.