GST Report

Hi

Just a small point.
In GST Report, I notice that if an amount is say $2341.40 it only shows as $2341.4 ,In balance sheet, P&L all shows correctly.

Cheers
Grandpa

I don’t know what you are referring to. Can you post a screenshot?

@lubos

Hi

Here’s a screen shot of what Im trying to describe.

Cheers
Grandpa

Look at your Base Currency under Settings. I believe you will discover it is limited to 1 decimal place. Change it to 2.

@Tut
Looked at that. It shows already “2”

Thanks
Grandpa

OK, a little further exploration lets me explain how the transformation behaves. Numbers in the worksheet display only as many significant figures as required. So as you originally observed, $2341.40 displays as $2341.4. And $975.00 displays as $975. Notice that the thousands delimiter is also absent.

However, if the display is also limited by the number of decimal places set for base currency. So, if you set that to 1, $2341.44 would display as $2341.4. (This is what I originally tried.)

Not being personally familiar with lodgment of New Zealand GST filings, I don’t know if this is by design or accident. But I will observe that the behavior is just like typical spreadsheets. You see only what is necessary for the precision of the calculation. But you can also truncate numbers.

@Tut
Thanks for the explanation, however I have many spreadsheets and all show .00 or .10. or.15 etc. I guess it doesn’t really matter except that visually its not good,
In all other reports in Manager ( P&L, BS) all numbers show OK. (.10 or .15 etc)
So I would have thought that GST would be the same, even for the sake of consistency.

Cheers
Grandpa

The format specification on the report transformation “Layout” is likely to need correcting

That’s entirely dependent on cell formatting. In most spreadsheet applications, there are dozens of choices, as well as custom possibilities.

Please note, I am not defending Manager’s behavior in this regard. I only investigated and reported what the program does. Personally, I would have expected it to follow the number formatting preference selected by the user. But, as I said, I don’t know what New Zealand’s requirements might be, so there could be a valid reason for it to behave as it does.

The solution may involve a custom dotliquid filter

@Patch
Thanks for that. But its way beyond my pay grade.

Cheers
Grandpa

New Zealand GST return layout

Australian GST worksheet layout

Edited New Zealand GST return layout

• Double click on the cell you want to edit and type or paste the changes
  • Click update at the bottom of the report transformation edit screen
  • View your “GST return”

Edit
I suspect Lubos is doing minimal work on the current report transformations while larger changes to the Report transformations system are being implemented.

If you want to know more about Report transformations this may help Localisation: GST/VAT worksheet programming guide

@Patch
Many thanks for that. All good. Just one thing, will the alterations revert back when a Manager update is done.

Cheers and thanks
Grandpa

Possibly.
That is the disadvantage with report transformation delivery via the program up instead of a separate mechanism.

Clone or Batch update including all components of the report transformation has been discussed on the forum but not implemented yet.

@Patch
Thanks for your help. Maybe @lubos might take a look at this.

Cheers
Grandpa

What is the official rounding required when the document is submitted to the NZ government?

@Patch
Hi.GST is rounded to 2 places as I understand it in NZ
Grandpa

Hi @lubos

Just updated to the latest version, and guess what. This above problem has resurfaced. ( Was all OK for a while) Amounts in GST report showing as $123.4 instead of $123.40. I notice the code as in post 12 above has now reverted to the “old” code with format:‘n2’ missing.
Is there anyway I can insert this code format:‘n2’ so as it stays.
Many thanks
Grandpa

1. Use Batch update to extract the Layout part of the report transformation.

2. From the batch update, delete the lines for transformations you do not need to clone.

3. From the batch update, delete the final “Key” column

4. Cancel out of the batch update in Manager and do a batch create, using the data file you created above.

5. Manually copy the script part from the system report transformation to your new report transformation.

6. Edit your new report transformation to include your updates

1 Like

@Patch
Hi Patch
Many thanks for your reply.
But when it comes to like the above Im completley at sea. I have no idea. I know where to find Batch update etc, but not how it works. Im pretty thick. I will probably just have to wait until the code gets fixed.

Anyway, thanks for your help

Grandpa