Generate PDF using API

Since you are presumably not creating your customers as Manager users and expecting them to view their invoices from within the application, you are going to have to create PDFs of the recurring sales invoice transactions after they have been created. (You cannot do that until they are created.) So you might just as well save the PDFs to a customer-accessible server as you create them in the first place. In this case, it does not seem like anything needs to be done through the API.

True, but I am exploring automation possibilities via the API.

@Tut @Morne_Kruger - In this scenario, I would assume you would forego the use of the standard ‘recurring sales invoice’ process. Instead, the external portal would just create a completely new sales invoice from scratch via the API, and all relevant details for that invoice are stored in the portal rather than in Manager. That removes the need for a person to manually generate the recurring invoices.

This way, a theoretical client/sales portal could handle:

• Automatically creating invoices at a regular interval in Manager (via the API).
  • Downloading the PDF for those invoices and sending them to each client, if necessary.

This would be even easier, as all you’re using the API for is to get a list of which invoices exist for each customer, on a regular interval (e.g. daily).

Over the past 18 months I have changed my business model quite significantly, so I’ve halted progress on my own portal - it’s no longer a priority for me. I know how I’ll build it if I need it again in the future, though. So if you are still stuck on this, I’m happy to help a bit.

Hi Shane, thank you for the response. I have made some good progress with a proof of concept using the API. I will reach out to you if I get stuck.