General Ledger Transaction Report (Suggested Modifications)

thanks , i know that ,
But my question was if our request for general ledger transaction report , so we can with this report be able to select (choose) a specific account .(as above requests ) is released in 18.9.60 !!

I appreciate the soonest reply

its done :grin: but how i van get oppening and closing balace

the last request , if we can balance as below

@lubos any news about this small modification?

It would be great if the Supplier Name could be joined to the Purchase Invoice fields in the General Ledger Transactions for custom reports, similar to how Customer Name is joined to Sales Invoice fields. Any idea when that might be done?

Yup its needed badly. You can make use of custom report builder for the time being.

Thank you. I was using Supplier Name instead of Contact in the custom report. Works now that I use Contact.

1 Like

I came to conclusion that opening balances are not suitable for custom reports.

So the latest version (18.10.78) adds opening balances to general ledger transactions report instead.

1 Like

MANY thanks. That makes the report far more useful and more typical of ā€œtraditionalā€ G/L reports. That said, as well as Opening Balances, is it also possible to include CLOSING BALANCES in that report ā€¦ it would simply be the difference between the Debit and Credit Totals (which are already shown). The Totals shown for each G/L account (under Debit and Credit columns) arenā€™t anywhere as useful (IMHO) as a Closing Balance would be. The modification that you just made makes it a lot easier for Accountants (say) to use this report rather than needing the the Summary G/L Report as well ā€¦ however, to work out the Closing balance for each G/L account still requires the ā€œmanualā€ subtraction of Debits - Credits ā€¦ if the system did that and showed it as the Closing balance, then no ā€œmanual interventionā€ would be required.

I did not see the point of balances in a transactions report to begin with. Now that Iā€™ve seen the result, they still seem inappropriate.

Nevertheless, if youā€™re going to have them, the program should produce consistent results. They appear only when there is a non-zero balance on the opening date. While I understand the logic of the program, many report readers will not, including the accountants and auditors people are so worried about. The report will look incomplete or faulty, casting doubt on its accuracy.

Likewise, opening balances without closing balances conveys the impression of incompleteness.

Great to know that this request has been added @lubos thank you. But to add to @Tutā€™s comment, we accountant know that when there is an opening balance a closing balance is sure to follow. Every report with opening balance have closing balances.
Thank you again for working on the GL transactions report we await the conclusion.

For what it concerns the actual structure I find the document coherent and consistent without the closing balance (by the way you have it splitted in CT and Dr). I see way @lubos designed it this way and Iā€™m with him.

The only way to add a closing balance is to have an additional column on the right end side but I find it redundant.

I think it now looks unbalanced - if you have an opening balance, Iā€™d expect a closing balance ā€“ after the debit and credit totals.

But Iā€™m inclined to agree with Tut that itā€™s inappropriate.

Also, I find myself asking why isnā€™t there an opening and closing balance on the income and expenditure account. Which would then pose the problem of when do you start the count fromā€¦

Like @ozcpa, I too have requested the addition of beginning and ending balances to the GL transactions report. Also, I emphatically agree that accountants rely on the traditional format and that it is a widely used standard format in virtually every accounting software previously or currently developed.

But I just downloaded and installed the latest desktop release (18.10.81) and the formatting described is not present when I run the general ledger transactions report. Has the new format been reverted?

No. But opening balances show only for balance sheet accounts, and only if you have a non-zero balance on the opening date of the report.

Thanks for the reply, @Tut. After a second look at the report, now I see it. I just had to get down to the balance sheet accounts.

Now that Iā€™ve seen itā€¦hmmmā€¦that just wonā€™t do at all. I wonder why itā€™s so difficult for @lubos to implement this? Admittedly, however, I donā€™t know what reporting tool he is using or the constraints heā€™s wrestling with.

In my limited knowledge of programming, it seems to me that what may be required is a two-step process. The first, the preprocessing, would calculate the beginning balance by tallying the transactions based on the user-specified beginning date range minus 1 (-1). That would provide the account total up to one day prior to the beginning report date; and that would be the beginning account balance. The next step in the process would add the inflows, deduct the outflows, and produce the difference. Then the difference would be subtracted from the account beginning balance amount, and that resulting number would be the ending account balance. Am I correct in my thinking or am I totally off base?

Itā€™s not a problem to calculate the closing balance, itā€™s already there, he has only to do a difference between ending Dr and Cr. He wants to keep the report consistent and, adding this value, would include the final result two times.

What you are proposing would work for income and expense accounts but not balance sheet accounts

@lubos how about adding the closing balance like this?

It would not impact the sums of the report and we would have the needed calculation.

1 Like