Feature request: Attachments for Fixed Assets

@lubos - It would be great if you could extend the support of “attachments” to the Fixed Asset entries. Use case would include storing any documents or images related to asset.

Thanks for your consideration.

Attachments can only be attached on View screens, not entry forms. If you want to attach documents related to fixed assets, attach them to the related purchase, sale, or depreciation transactions. Or put them into folders.

Hi @Tut,

I realize how it currently works - hence the feature request :slight_smile:

Being able to open an asset and having access to supporting attachments would be be a plus.

Similarly, it would very nice to have the same feature at the Customer level where attachments that are unrelated to specific transactions (i.e. contracts, agreements, etc…) could be managed.

So, yes, folders can be used for this, but linking directly to the various entities would be great.

I am fairly certain the developer’s viewpoint would be that a place has already been provided for attachments unrelated to specific transactions—Folders. Adding them to entry forms would lead to requests to add them to reports, worksheets, settings, and so forth in a never-ending chain.

I don’t know the mechanisms by which attachments work. But you should notice that they are only available on pages displayed via themes. (Even Folders function through theme-displayed pages.) So I suspect that is important. If you perform a Batch Update, you will not see any attachment information in the transaction records. So the program is storing them elsewhere. That “elsewhere” may not exist for an Edit form where fixed asset information is displayed.

Attachments are View screen feature (just like cloning). I’m exploring how view screen could work for non-transactional items such as fixed assets, inventory items etc. I think it is inevitable that every object would have corresponding edit screen and view screen.

Agree
Particularly when the asset was acquired prior to starting to use a Manger business. The accounting information is entered via starting balance but there is nowhere documentation can be attached.

The only work around I could find was to create an artificial 1cent receipt and 1cent payment (which have to be after the starting date to be accessible via the same screens as all other asset acquire invoices. Not a good solution but the best I could find