Default Tax payable/receivable missing from Summary

Hi All,

Hope everyone is safe and well… I am setting up a new database for a non for profit social club to keep track of their accounts. They are registered for GST in Australia. When I created the business, I noticed that the Tax summary is not showing. I had the impression that this shows by default. Should this show automatically when creating a business? If I add it manually in the chart of accounts, would there be Tax payable and Tax receivable?

Thank you in advance.

Tax reports are available only after tax codes have been created.

You would not add tax reports to the chart of accounts. You would add a tax liability account. See the Guide: https://www.manager.io/guides/8901.

Hi Tut,
Thank you for your response. I did set up the Tax Codes right after creating the business, and entered few payments and receipts to generate tax liabilities. All tax was listed as suspense. I may be wrong but if I remember well the software use to generate a tax payable under liabilities and a tax received under assets.
As you explained there should be a tax payable only and if they are owed GST it reports as negative in the summary? Thanks

Your memory is partially correct. Until December 2019, there was an automatic Tax payable liability account to which all tax codes posted, whether for assessments on customers or payments to suppliers. At that time, tax liability accounts became flexible, so you could (and needed to) assign a tax code to tax liability accounts you created on your own. If you already had the default Tax payable account in use, it carried over as an ordinary liability account with the same name, and you might not have noticed the change.

There was never an asset account for taxes received, because they are not assets. They are liabilities you owe to the tax authority on behalf of your customers. Assuming you are operating in a VAT regime, taxes assessed and taxes paid offset one another in the same liability account. The reason this is a liability account is that most businesses end up collecting more VAT than they pay, so they owe the tax authority money. (You can, however, change that account to an asset account if your situation is unusual and you pay VAT but collect less or none.)

I do not know what you mean by this. What tax? For what kind of transactions? Transactions are posted to Suspense when they are incomplete or erroneous, awaiting correction.

If it ever works out that you are owed money by the tax authority due to having paid more VAT than you collected from customers, the tax liability account balance will be negative.

Goto setting-> taxcodes
Click on each tax code
Set the account to your tax payable liability account

Thank you guys for the clarification. I will follow your suggestions to rectify the suspense. In this instance although the business is registered for GST, they are not for profit social club and they end up being owed GST from the ATO more than they collect.
Thanks again.
Great forum!

Your situation is one where reclassifying the tax liability account into the Assets group could make sense. Do that by editing the account under the Settings tab.

HI,

I have recently started using the manager software and would like to remove the tax payable amount from the summary after payment.
Please see the reference.

best regards

Please read this guide Create and use tax codes | Manager which explains to to set up tax codes and tax payable account correctly

Then you just record a Payment transaction for your payment

Yes It is working.
Thanks a lot