Copy/Paste Attachments

I’ll start with the case:
I filled up my car with fuel, I got a receipt and paid it by credit-card. I store the receipt as attachment in a folder I created in Manager
Later on I get the bankstatement and in Manager I enter the payment. Is there a way to copy/paste the stored attachment as an attachment to the payment. I could not find out how to do this. Any idea how?

Kind regards,

Hennie

It seems impossible.
But I think this is a good idea, if we can select attachments from files that are already in the Folders Tab

Personally, I think this would be poor practice, needlessly expanding the size of the data file. Here is why:

You must already scan the fuel receipt before you can attach it anywhere. But you cannot scan something directly into Manager. So you must first store the scan file somewhere else.

Then you want it in Manager, but you do not yet have a transaction to attach it to. So you store it in a folder. Now you have it in two places, neither of which is where eventually want it to be. After the payment is created, you can attach the scan file to it.

A more straightforward method is simply to leave the scan where you originally stored it until the payment is created, then attach it to the transaction.

In your scenario, the data file would have two copies of the scan. Why bother? Manager is not a file management system. So attachments cannot be moved from one place to another. Attachments were never intended to the primary storage system for files, but a way to add supporting documentation to transactions.

Attached you find a print-screen of a very popular Dutch cloud-accounting application called E-Boekhouden.
E-Boekhouden has an Inbox-file withe the possibility to create subfolders. Every document in this inbox can be attached to any mutation/relation in the system. In my case my customer can upload the scanned fuel receipt to this inbox and once the banktransaction is imported this fuel-receipt can be attached to the bank-payment. After having done this the receipt can be moved to a folder e.g. "documents processed. It is in my opinion a matter of software design. Maybe @ Lubos can have a look at this.

I reiterate my earlier point:

Further:

As you know, Manager has no inbox. So what you are suggesting is a very major departure from the philosophy and structure of the program.

It would be great to accomplish Hennie’s suggestion. Currently we drag and drop onto the managers “New Attachment Button” from a network location using “File Explorer” or something similar. Once accomplished all documents are there where and when they are needed. The draw back is when you on the run you may not have access to the in-house documents if not already in Manager.

There are two things here.

One, that it should be possible to have attachments without being attached to a transaction (or anything) and it should be possible to attach them to something without need to reupload them.

Also, it should be possible to create new transaction from the attachment. This way, if there is some easy mechanism for Manager to collect attachments from other source, they could be converted into actual transactions.

For example, you could scan purchase invoice from supplier. It would get into Manager as an attachment without being attached to anything, then you could create new purchase invoice from that attachment. Now the attachment would be linked to actual purchase invoice.

I’m adding this to ideas so I can look at this workflow later.

3 Likes

That would be a powerful feature

2 Likes