Calculating total of column

yes i used that guide to calculate the sum manually, i want to automate it so that i can have a sum of all cells of qty column in that specific highlighted cell, is it technically possible if i hire someone who knows liquid coding?

It should be possible. But that will be a lot of work for questionable benefit. What happens when you are adding individual units to boxes to cases to liters to kilograms? The result will be meaningless.

this is why adding total qty in base of the unit name will be a great addition to the program, if ever is implemented
at the moment manager displays each unit name in the row if different units are used in the same invoice
so it can sum up a total
example
15kg / 12box / 3pcs

in this wat the result will not be meaningless but very helpful
do you agree @Tut

1 Like

No, personally I do not agree. What is the use of knowing, in your example, that you sold 30 (of three different items)? 30 what? A quantity needs a unit of measure.

as i wrote it before a total for each unit used

Thanks for the clarification, but I still do not see any purpose. Suppose I have 20 different line items. What good does it do me to know I have received 15 kg if I purchased 2 kg of flour, 5 kg of sugar, 3 kg of coffee, and 5 kg of olive oil? I cannot count 15 of anything. And what if I purchased two kinds of olive oil, one sold by the kilogram and the other by liter? I do not know which to count without going back to the individual line items.

It is mandatory by tax department to have total qty on invoice in our country, i think they used it to track inventory e.g they can monitor how many units (as a whole) you have bought via purchase invoice and how many you sold using sales invoice, as it is a requirement by govt department so we cant argue with them and need to provide that info anyway even if we think it is a useless info.

What country is this, @Asif_Hussain? Can you provide a link to official documentation of such a requirement?

https://www.fbr.gov.pk/categ/sales-tax-records/51148/50854/%20121149

@Asif_Hussain, the guidance you linked to only states that your record of sales must include quantities. Your sales invoices or receipts in Manager are your record of sales, and they do that. In fact, some other requirements for your record of sales are for information that can only be given at the line item level. Nothing implies that you must generate on any transaction form or report a sum of quantities, especially not one that combines sales in different units of measure. And the only submission requirement is for tax amounts, not quantities. So your government is not tracking inventory. It is tracking input and output tax.

when you need to fill all of the required info for an invoice in one line of excel sheet then you need to insert “total qty” in Qty column as you cant enter multiple values in one cell of excel also you cant create multiple line for an invoice because of other common things e.g tax, total and it will not be feasible to create separate invoice for each item you are selling to a customer, I will try to find the online source of excel format they provide which we need to follow.

@Asif_Hussain i dont think any country government tax office will require total qty for the invoices
it just doesnt make sense from accounting point of view

but i will agree it is helpful in may cases
example inventory check
is a quick packing list
it can used to make a quick check when loading
it can be used to calculate weight
is very helpful when you use only one unit or you sell only 1 material
etc etc

however as @Tut explained for some businesses is just is useless

so if introduced as feature it is bound to be optional event though i dont think any bussines will have a problem with it if it added

1 Like

Yes, you can. Just create a formula.

I note, however, this is the first time you have mentioned any need to complete an Excel spreadsheet. The page you linked to does not mention such a requirement. And Pakistan’s Sales Tax/FED Return Form (STR-7) includes only amounts related to sales, purchases, and taxes. It does not include a single reference to quantities. When the various annexes to STR-7 are required, if they include quantity, they also include a specific unit of measure, HS Code, or Item Code. These all have the effect of requiring you to separate various items for reporting. And that means that a total of quantities on an invoice, especially one that mixes units of measure, would be useless. There is simply nowhere to report such a number.