Almost Everyday there are new versions

Hi

I am just wondering whenever I check the downloads, there is always a change in the versions of the softwar. Are small tweaks being made all the time?

yes
It is likely the framework for larger changes is also being updated.

Luckily for us, Manager is getting improvements and advancements every day… The author implements changes that the user community requests and so forth… So, yes, it is getting frequent updates… If you do not want to bother with the updating then you can simply skip checking for updates or opt for the cloud version, which is updated automatically…

1 Like

I actually appreciate the updates. It is just quite a pleasant surprise to see updates made almost daily.

I prefer to call them cutting edge releases or nightly builds (although they aren’t strictly nightly).

I love and hate this thing at the same time. On one side I love so much when something new appears inside Manager, even more if it is something I required. On the othet side I fear (and I hate) when some change breaks some functionality from the past. In the last month’s this thing happened a little bit to often but I have to recognise that @lubos worked so much and incredibly fast to fix everything.

PS: I’m still waiting for the functionality for batch create custom reports (and also chart of accounts!) to compensate the loss of the settings inport functionality from a file!

I get your concerns.
I had on-premise server version of Manager and I only updated it when I thought something useful for me was being updated. Now I have changed to the cloud version of Manager and therefore my “updating days” are over, the Manager’s team do that automatically.
Now the concerns are “what if Manager breaks”… Well, I make backups and I can always roll back to the on-premise or even individual versions of Manager if needed, but then only time Manager has broken for me was when I messed up an update myself. So, backup is the key for success and you can always revert back to an older version…
This is the same as Windows, which you are probably using etc…

I’m using server version too with time scheduled backups and real time backups. I’ve also scheduled the updates so, somehow I have something similar to cloud edition.But I can revert back easily.

Two points:

1. if the change in Manager is deliberately done as it was with the changes from old to Custom Reports it makes no sense to revert back unless you don’t want to renounce to all the future updates.
  2. it would be very useful that @lubos implements a way to check Manager’s version number of a file (backup or not).

Are you aware that data files that have been opened by newer versions of the program cannot be opened by older versions? This is because the database structure is sometimes updated for new features. The only files you can reliably open with older versions of the program is backups made with those or earlier versions.

While you might get yourself back up and running with an old server version, you will not be able to access your recent data.

I repeat it again. It is necessary to be able to see the version of Manager under which each file or backup was created.

I found it:

edit: it doesn’t give you the manager version, but it gives you the schema, from which you can determine the best version of manager to use to open it. I will probably make a list of versions vs schemas, but as at this point in time, I haven’t done that.

Your are not alone here, my friend :grin:

is there any way to roll back desktop version.

Only if have kept backup copies of your datafiles and know what version of Manager was used to back them up

You can actually rollback the version embedded in your current data file by using the command line, if you’re game.

First you need to find the current embedded schema version of your data file. This post Database versioning - #3 by d3mad explains how to find the schema version.

The output displays as a 6 hex number. For example, a data file last opened with 21.5.34 will show a schema of x’08A102’. The middle byte is A1, which is the schema version 0xA1 = 161, so 21.5.33 would be x’08A002’ (0xA0 = 160) and 21.5.32 would be x’089F02’ (0x9F = 159).

To rollback the schema version of your file, run the following command in a terminal (you must have sqlite3 installed and your data file should be backed-up):

sqlite3 “$file” “UPDATE Objects SET Content = x’089f02’ Where Key = ‘a9a71e47-82b3-49db-8aec-898adb460a80’”

Where $file is the name/location of the data file and the ‘Content’ being SET is the schema version you want to rollback to.

Remember, back up your data file first.

1 Like

Are you sure that this is a roll back? From what I read you are just changing the version number inside the database to bypass Manager’s versioning control. I think that this is very dangerous since it can read and write data from wrong position of the database, given that it is not a normalized SQL schema.

• It is reasonable to go back to the version of Manager the backup file used.

• Finding the version via the schema number is a reasonable approach

• Changing the database schema requires changing the database structure internally not just the schema identifier.

Sure @Davide . That’s why you should backup your data first.

But sometimes an update might cause problems, which rolling back one version can solve with minimal risk.

Better to do backups

1 Like

@Patch The schema identifier is what Manager uses to prevent the data file being opened by an older version of the program.