Added "Qty available", "Qty to be available" and "Qty to order" columns to “Inventory Items”

If those Sales Invoices are linked to Sales Order then those sales invoices won’t have an impact on Qty on hand.

So the question is why do you use Sales Orders and not Delivery Notes ? I mean you can but then you can’t track Qty on hand, Qty to order etc. Only Qty owned.

Have a look at this guide on Qty on hand.

https://www.manager.io/inventory-items#qtyonhand

Thanks @lubos

We use sales orders to capture orders (qty only) placed by the customers. Two different teams are responsible to take orders and issue invoices.

Once the rates are agreed and goods ready to be delivered, sales orders are converted to sales invoice. Sales invoice is generated at the same time as delivery of goods. Therefore we do not use delivery notes.

We want to use new feature of reorder qty.

Qty desired takes into account qty on hand only.

If the edit columns had two separate columns for qty desired where one is qty reorder less qty on hand and the other is qty reorder less qty owned, it can address our issue.

@applet what about Qty available column?

When you create sales order, it will increase Qty to be delivered and decrease Qty available.

Are you using these two columns? If not, why not?

I’m wondering whether your sales orders are really sales quotes that should be converted to sales invoice.

This is what I have been doing, I take sales orders directly from sales reps and give them to the production team then when all Items are ready I issue the sales invoice for each sales order.
Is there a way to convert my 932 sales orders to sales quotes? or should I wait for this new change too be settled ?

What is the purpose of keeping any Sales Quote after invoices where issued? You may just have few from the 932 Sales Orders that you may need to re-issue as Sales Quotes and delete the associated Sales Orders.

@lubos thanks for looking into this.
I am not using these two columns - qty available and qty to be delivered.

Qty available doesn’t take into account the sales invoices issued linked to sales order
Qty to be delivered has no practical use for us as we deliver orders by sales order which is of course by customers.

For us, a sales order serves as a picking list for warehouse pickers for weighing the goods and when vehicles are fully loaded with quantities in sales orders, a sales invoice is generated.

The sales orders screen also tells which orders have been delivered (delivery status column). The sales quote screen doesn’t have that delivery status or invoiced column.

The sales order screen is a control screen for us i.e. all sales invoices must have a sales order.
Please note that I am interested in using this new feature of reorder qty but right now it doesn’t serve my purpose and hence this discussion, thanks again for all your efforts and time to understand this.

Qty available is Qty on hand minus Qty to be delivered. And Qty to be delivered is from your sales orders.

You say that… but then…

All of this is connected. Delivery status column tracks Qty to be delivered and it’s delivered when Qty to be delivered is zero.

I don’t see how you are not using Delivery Notes while tracking delivery status on Sales Orders.

Have you read the guide at Inventory Items - Manager.io ? Which part is not clear? It can be improved.

1 Like

I’ll read the guides in detail and revert.

We are leaving the qty column as zero in the sales order and instead using a custom field to track another unit of measure (bags). Our standard unit of measure for purchase and sales is kg. I understand this is not the right approach and we’ll change this.

Since we are not using delivery notes, is there a shortcut to mark all past sales invoices as delivered so that when we start using delivery notes we are tracking the right quantity? Same for all past purchases invoices to be marked as goods received?

You know what you are right. Although the purpose of it is a bit complicated but now that we have custom feilds that support auto fill I don’t think I need them anymore. but I still need to delete all sales orders to fix inventory qty reports.

First make a backup of your business and then use Batch Delete in the Sales orders tab.
Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 13.29.25

@lubos please advise on this when you get the chance.

For purchases I have only recorded purchase invoices, payments, and goods receipts.
For sales I have only recorded sales invoices, receipts, and delivery notes.

It was suggested when I started using manager.io. Are you suggesting this no longer works and sales orders should be included? I don’t want to change my system now when it is working fine.

Indeed.

That is unfortunate. Do you know if backups done on older versions of manager will work on newer versions? I know newer backups aren’t compatible with older versions, but not sure of the other way around.

Older backups are forward compatible, as long as you don’t go back more than a few years to when the database structure was fundamentally changed.

That’s great. I just checked and the changes to customer and supplier qty to receive / deliver work as expected on version 23.10.20.1089 and thankfully the backup I have from cloud version 23.11.7.1126 works on version 23.10.20.1089 as well.

I’d like to stay on the cloud version but not if it is now required to use sales orders to track inventory correctly. I come from the time when the SO tab wasn’t integrated the way it is now, and it was even suggested back then (around 2016-17) to omit sales orders if they weren’t part of the transactional process.

The steps for online sales for example were suggested as invoice - receipt - delivery note when shipped. Will this system now require sales orders as an extra step? If deciding not to use SOs, how will that affect historical reports and inventory data?

I cannot answer all your questions without developing a representative simulation of your historical records. That is obviously impossible. So make a backup of your business and import it for testing. Try everything out and share your results.

I continued to try several scenarios, I concluded that, Sales Invoice without SO will reduce Qty on hand and we cannot track Qty to delivered.

if we use SO, the Sale invoice will not reduce the qty on hand, but we can track the Qty to deliver, and the Qty on hand will be reduced after we create a Delivery Note.

So whether we need SO or not depends on our standard business procedures.

There is a good reason to adopt new method.

The more transactions you have, the more difficult it will be reconcile Qty to deliver and Qty to receive if something doesn’t add up.

Because if something doesn’t add up, you will be confronted with every single sales invoice and delivery note from the beginning of time trying to figure out what exactly was (wasn’t) delivered.

The new approach is to break this down into separate sales orders (units of work). Qty to deliver is the sum of quantities to deliver across all sales orders. If something doesn’t add up, you will see which particular order wasn’t delivered (or was over-delivered). Easier to reconcile with customers too.

I know it’s a bit extra work because if you want to track Quantity to deliver, you need to start using Sales Orders. But it shouldn’t add any extra data entry since you create sales order, then you can Copy to new sales invoice and new delivery note.

If you think the benefits do not justify the extra step that is now required, I’m always interested how the workflows can be improved.

Yes. This is exactly correct.

You can dive into Inventory Items - Manager.io which explains every column (quantity type) in detail.