Workflow with check

Firstly this does not affect me as most of my clients do online banking to pay my invoices. So I am not really affected. However that does not mean that I don’t see the point of the request.

No I am not suggesting doing something twice, nor is the original OP. What he wants to do is have a record of cheque numbers that have been paid or deposited. To use an example of you pay a cheque of £20 000, but the person you paid the cheque to does not deposit the cheque for three months. If you don’t use purchase invoices (for whatever reason) - how do you record a: the cheque number and b: the amount and c: who you have paid it to? You want your balance in Manager to take into account that £20 000 you have paid that won’t be cashed for three months because you need to know that this money is coming off at some point in time in the near future.

If you don’t use purchase invoices, you can’t record the supplier or the amount. Lastly, where do you record the cheque numbers if you use bank imports because you don’t want to enter the cheque number when doing the bank import but at the same time as you deposit the cheques or write out the cheque.

If every transaction in their bank account is paying and receiving by cheque - then yes I can agree with you - I don’t see the point in bank imports, but most businesses don’t operate that way. They have a mixture of online bacs, cash and cheques I would imagine.

On the payment transaction form. You can do it manually right now and classify status as Pending. In your proposed solution, you would still have to do it manually, but it would go into some inactive queue. Then you would repeat the process via bank import and pair up the imported entries with those you already entered manually.

And that is the difference between the Cleared balance and Actual balance columns in the Bank Accounts tab. With your current workflow you don’t see this because all bank statement entries are, by definition, already cleared.

With the new approach, yes you can. It is now the non-supplier/customer that gives trouble by being relegated to a custom field.

You can edit the transactions to be imported before finalizing the import. You have always been able to do this for bank statement imports.

I don’t know how many ways I can say this. The only way you can match imports to other information is if you manually enter that other information, no matter what it is. The only question is when and where you enter it. Based on what you’ve written previously and in other posts, you are currently accepting the imported transactions without verification. You can do that if you trust the process and your bank. But to have something in Manager—anywhere in Manager—to compare to an imported statement, you have to make manual entries at some point in time.

@Tut as everyone else and myself understands the request and you don’t, despite repeated attempts to explain in to you, I would just call it a day on this one as only the developer can change the program according to the OP’s request. The developer can decide whether the request makes sense.

I completely understand the request, @dalacor. I simply disagree with it because it adds work with no discernible benefit. I’m still waiting for any of those who have supported it to hypothesize an advantage not available with the current implementation.

I agree with @tut on the process when you are issuing a cheque. If you make a payment by cheque it is to your advantage if you enter the payment, from your bank account, immediately as you then have a reference point of your actual available bank balance in your accounting records. If you wait for it to be recorded by bank file import then you have to make a mental note or a manual record somewhere to allow for un-presented cheques otherwise you could end up, at best, with an overdrawn bank account, or at worst, a dishonoured cheque. (very embarassing).

The OP was not about issuing cheques but receiving cheques and the process for handling these has different implications. It is to your advantage to enter the payment immediately to record that your customer has made payment, but not to enter it to your bank account, but use a Cash Takings clearing account as I described in a previous post. Following this approach will mean:

1. The bank record amount for the deposit will match your accounting record.
  2. The accounting record of your bank balance will not be inflated by the amounts that are awaiting to be deposited.

I think that an inbuilt function for Cash Takings clearing (undeposited funds) account, that was alluded to in the OP, should be an improvement to be considered.

In relation to issuing cheques, bank file imports are a time saving feature, but for some items it is beneficial to use manual entry and remove these at the time of the bank file import.

The benefit is that the bank account in the system will have exactly the same amounts and transaction as your bank statement.

When you have to look back at your transactions it’s much easier to understand what happened if you have all the details on one transaction window.

@Jici, Manager already provides both.

If i have one big deposit involving 20 cheques i Will be able to check only by opening the transaction in the bank account in the system:

All the different checks involved in this transaction

And if for example i chose to import the bank statements how can i go through the system without closing the transaction window to split.the transaction. Even if i specify the client and invoice number the system doesn’t fetch the amount for each invoices implied. So i have to go back and Forth to enter the exact numbers…

This is the whole point of the discussion. It is not desirable to add cheques using manual entry and then remove them at the time of the bank import. This is what Tut does not seem to understand. This is a clunky way of doing it. A better way is to align what cheques have been put into this Cash Clearings Account and align this with the bank import.

So you can put all the information that you would put into the receipts and payment forms, without having to delete those entries somewhere down the line again. Manager should see those entries, align them with bank import entries and ask - do you want to merge these!

1 Like

Alternatively, do 20 “individual” deposits.

In the Desktop version after doing the bank import and having all the unallocated transactions in a window - you can right click the Customers tab and select “open a new tab” - then you can switch between transaction window and Customer window without having to open / close any window.

The solution of doing 20 small deposit doesn’t really work. If you go to the bank with 20 check on the same account they will not want to do the same operation 20 times. You have to go there with your deposit prepared and they’ll do 1 deposit for every account if you have more than one account. Sometimes you don’t even go to the bank because you hire a company that comes to bring money ( if you need for cash register for example) and they’re in charge of deposits as well so everything has to be prepared and again 1 deposit per account.

On the other hand thanks for the trick to open new tab i didn’t know about it!

Are you serious!