Where can I apply a Discount (not in invoice)

I’ve been looking where can I apply discounts. By discounts I mean, just a single transaction for the discount. Not in invoices. For example: I want to apply a discount to “Customer A” for $17dlls. The tax pecentage is 8.25%. I want those $17dlls to affect directly in the customer, 1.40 for the tax and 15.60 to affect in sales. I was trying to apply it on bank transactions, but the problem is, when I wright 17 for the total and then I choose 8.25% as tax, It gives a total of 18.40. I need those $17 on my customer statement, not, 18.40. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe is in another section where I need to apply it, but where? Hope I made myself explained, let me know if not.

You cannot apply a discount to a customer. You can only apply them on sales- and purchase-related transactions, on a line item basis. I think your terminology is wrong.

Why are you trying to enter a $17 transaction for Customer A? What does that transaction represent? Is it an advance payment the Customer has given to you? Is it a credit for damaged goods you want to apply to the customer’s account to be used on future sales? Is it a rebate on prior sales after the customer reached a certain threshold?

As for whether whatever transaction shows $17 or $18.40, that goes to the question of whether whatever transaction it is is tax-exclusive or tax-inclusive. See this Guide: Manager Cloud.

you can issue a credit note to the customer.
first create a proper account for the type of transaction in your chart of accounts.
then in the credit note select the same account, enter the rate as 17 and tax selected as 8.25%.
do not forget to tick the check-box for tax inclusive image

Hi @Tut , thanks for answering. Those $17 is an example of a discount I would like to enter to a customer. The thing is that I have the politics with some of my customers that whenever they pay me an invoice within the 30 first days, I give them a discount of a 5%. Thta’s why I would like to know if it’s possible to apply the discount… But not directly in the invoice. I woud like to apply the discount as a single transaction, but I haven’t find thtat option.

@sharpdrivetek That actually worked! Thank you so much

1 Like

Okay, that is a common situation. But it is not a “discount” as that term is used by Manager, even though that is usually what it is called in business (an “early payment discount”). The difference is that “discounts” in Manager are price reductions on a specific line item. An “early payment discount” applies to the overall invoice and becomes a line item of its own.

@sharpdrivetek’s suggestion is one way to account for this situation. Another is as follows, which does not require you to enable the Credit Notes tab or enter a credit note. It can all be done in as part of the receipt transaction:

• Create a new account for your P&L Statement named something like Early payment discounts. My recommendation would be to put the account in the income group and treat it as a contra account. But it could also be an expense account. (This part of the method is the same as @sharpdrivetek’s approach.)
  • When entering a receipt from the customer, enter the full balance due, posting to Accounts receivable and the customer’s subaccount and invoice. Do not apply a tax code. This will totally clear the Accounts receivable balance for the invoice.
  • Add a second line to the receipt, posted to Early payments discounts. Enter the early payment reduction as a negative number. Apply the relevant tax code. (Note: if more than one tax code was used on the invoice, you will need separate lines for the discount amounts subject to each tax code.)

Example
A sales invoice is raised for 300 with a 10% tax:

The customer pays early, qualifying for a 5% reduction. The receipt is generated as described. If you want to enter a tax-inclusive number, apply the 5% reduction to the entire balance due, including tax:

If you want to enter a tax-exclusive number, apply the 5% discount only to the subtotal from the invoice, without the tax. The results are the same:

One final note: In most jurisdictions, an early payment discount is considered a price reduction, because it was offered as a condition of the sale. So tax is due only on the reduced price of goods or services. But in some jurisdictions, tax may be due on the original sale price. In that case, do not apply the tax code to the discount line item. Check with a local accountant or tax authority to confirm which situation applies.

Thank you so much @Tut. That also works!