Taxes

Hello to every one in the forum. I am have been using Manager for a while now and sincerely, it is a great application. I am from Cameroon and our tax system is a little complicated.
If you do an invoice for a private company, there is only one tax applicable (VAT) . Here there is no problem.

If you do an invoice for a parastetal, there are two taxes involved. VAT and Tax on Income Without Tax. Below is a table that represents how the tax is calculated, I hope this humble forum can help me empliment it in Manager.

You need to provide more information. Your screen shot is a result, without any methodology. What exactly is tax on revenue without VAT calculated on? In your example, VAT appears to have been calculated on the full 20,000 XAF. So does tax on revenue without VAT.

Most likely, you will need a custom tax code with two elements. See this Guide: Create and use tax codes | Manager.

Or, your tax on revenue without VAT may be functioning as a withholding tax. Anyway, more information is needed.

1 Like

@princeforchu - is there a question ?

Wouldn’t your Total Receivable be 23,410 (20,000 + 3850 - 440).
It would appear that the IR is an alternate name for a Withholding Tax

1 Like

Hello Thanks for your replies. I am sorry I was not explicite enough. IR is alternate name for withholding tax, but in Cameroon, withholding tax is deducted from your income, that is the total excluding taxes. Thus the client pays the VAT, but the business man pays the withholding tax from his income without any tax.

So in Cameroon, withholding tax is tax you pay to the government on all income you recieve, which is 2.2% in my case. And this tax is deducted from the amount you earn without VAT on it. Thanks to all in advance with your help to empliment this in Manager.

To clarify - does the Client pay the VAT to you (then you to the government) or does the Client pay the VAT to the government directly. If the VAT is paid to you, then the Total Receivable should be 1,556.213, the amount of money you actually receive from the client of which you send 251.213 to the government.

To me your example is very confusing:

1. It shouldn’t be saying “Total All Tax”, it should be saying “Total Including VAT” which is 1,556.213. “Total All Tax” implies 1305.000 + 251.213 + 28.710 or 1584.923.

2. In your bracketed comments (Total Excluding Tax + VAT) and (Total Excluding taxes - IR) the use of the word tax / taxes is confusing. In the first one the word “Tax” refers to IR and in the second the word “taxes” refers to VAT. Why not use the proper reference to IR & VAT in place of tax / taxes.

3. “Total Receivable” implies that this is the amount the client is going to pay you which I suspect is not correct, I think what you actual mean is “Income (sales) less IR”

With regards to the IR tax it appears to be an internal withholding tax, nothing to do with the client.
Does this IR need to be shown on the invoice ?
Doesn’t the IR only arise on receiving payment ? (no payment - no IR tax payable)

Once I have these answers, then we can talk about IR processing.

1 Like

I am just a confused as @Brucanna. To me, it seems that the total receivable should be 1,305,000 + 251,213 - 28,710 = 1,527,503. If that is correct, Manager can handle this tax situation without difficulty using built-in features.

I know of no tax regime where VAT is assessed that the tax is not collected by the seller from the buyer and remitted to the tax authority. (Of course, I don’t know in detail about all regimes.) And withholding tax, as that term is implemented in Manager, is withheld buy the buyer and paid to a tax authority on behalf of the seller. When the buyer furnishes appropriate documentation that the tax has been paid to the authority, the seller (you) can transfer the withheld tax from Withholding tax receivable to Withholding tax and later use that amount to reduce your tax payable.

1 Like

Hello thanks for your supports @Tut @Brucanna . Yes you have all understood my situation.

1. In effect, IR has nothing to do with the client. The client pays VAT, and you as the business man pay IR.
  2. Total Receivable in Cameroon, is the money that is left with you after all taxes have been paid.
  3. So the total tax paid to the tax authorities is VAT + IR. However withholding tax is calculated and deducted from the sub total.
  4. Also if there is any idea to help me present the data in the format, it will be most welcomed,

I hope this next illustration makes more sense that the prviouse one I sent

EDIT:
oh…
You are not collecting VAT from the Client? Withholding Tax in manager is calculated on Subtotal+VAT=Total*2.2% i.e 34237 and the total paid by customer would be. 1521976

You can only improvise the entries you needed rather then using the built in VAT and withholding tax features

1 Like

@princeforchu I haven’t really analyse your situation but I don’t think it will be too different from the Ghanaian system (I’m a Ghanaian) :wink:

I believe you didn’t explain the deductions well

Withholding Tax is withheld by the payer and paid to the government on your behalf. He will eventually bring you some tax credit note.

VAT on the other hand will be paid by you to the Government, of course after you have deducted your input VAT.

Even though they are all taxes, they don’t have to be entered as a multi tax tax code in manager.

Do a tax code for the VAT and find some way to handle the withholding tax. You can use the withholding tax tool in Manager or, create an asset account and use it as a line item in your sales invoice and receipt, entering negative amounts there to register the withholding tax as an asset in your account

It works perfect, if I am making sense to you and want to know how you can use Manager.io to properly monitor your withholding tax assets and liabilities i am willing to help.

1 Like

But you didn’t answer the questions:
Does this IR tax legally need to be shown on the clients invoice ?

• If yes, does it need to be presented in the format shown ?
    Does the IR become payable upon the issuing of the invoice or upon receiving the payment ?

My early observations are that the IR is a completely separate transaction and has nothing to do with the Clients Invoice except it being the basis for the IR calculation, therefore the IR can’t /shouldn’t be displayed as per the example format. Anyhow awaiting your answers to the questions.

1 Like

@Brucanna. Thanks for your reply.

1. This IR tax needs to be legally shown on the clients invoice. This is because these clients are state corporations and paratatals, who also need to declare to the tax authorities that they have been supplier by company ABC, goods worth X USD. That way tax authorities know they expect payment of withholding tax from company ABC.

2. It needs to be presented in this format.

3. IR is payable upon receiving payment.

Thanks

No, I specifically do not understand your situation. Changing the labels on your example did not help.

Let me go further. A reasonably extensive internet search turned up no–repeat, no– reference to any 2.2% tax of any type for any purpose in Cameroon. The only withholding taxes I can find reference to are:

• 16.5% on interest and dividends
  • Special Income Tax varying from 5 - 15% on remunerations paid abroad, with the 5% rate applying to public procurements. That seems closest to your parastatal, but would not apply if you are a Cameroonian company, as you said you are.

So, @princeforchu, you need to furnish a lot more information. And rather than showing examples of the outcome of this taxation scheme you believe is in effect, provide a reference to the scheme itself and describe how it works.

2 Likes

@cometomama
The supplier collects the VAT from the client and pays to the tax authorities. Upon paying the VAT, supplier pays IR to the tax authorities, which is tax on his Sub Total (Total without any tax)

Thanks

If this is the case, IR is not a withholding tax at all. It sounds like an advance payment of income tax, some form of Pay As You Earn (PAYE) scheme. Whether or not such a transaction belongs in Manager at all will depend on whether you are a corporation, partnership, or sole proprietor/trader. There is no reason to show such a payment on an invoice sent a customer, as it has nothing to do with the receivable amount.

But I still find no information about this on the internet, so further information is still required.

1 Like

@Tut
Yes yes exactly, that is the best way of putting it. Pay As You earn that is the term. Please permit me to upload another scenarion. It might throw more light to the situation

Thanks

@tut @Brucanna
In Cameroon there are two taxes on invoices, VAT and IR.

1. If the client is in the Private sector, only VAT is apllicable.

2. If the client is a state corporation or public company, both taxes are implemented. Meaning If you do a job for the state, you pay taxes for your earning (Pay As You Earn). 2.2% is deducted from your earnings.

Warmest Regards

This does not shed more light. It is another example without explanation or reference. Why is IR being shown on a sales invoice at all? And what is your form of organization?

1 Like

Ok[quote=“princeforchu, post:13, topic:10161”]
It needs to be presented in this format.
[/quote]

Now you have a problem, because Manager can’t show a tax which doesn’t relate to the client in that way. That section is purely for client related information. You could make a notation with regards to the IR within the Notes field,

Or perhaps (???) there is a custom field solution, but I will leave it up to others as to feasibility.

@Tut

We are a private company doing work for a state corporation. Since this is an invoice, sent to the client, we need to put the IR, so that they see how the taxes are distributed, It is required by law,