Tax summary report not showing purchases

After updating, the Tax Summary report is not showing any purchases, and the sales are all negative, totally different to the report printed before the update.
I have installed the latest localisations, but it hasn’t fixed the problem
How can I fix this please?

When you click on the negative sales figures, what do you see? They should be clickable and explaining how the amount came to be.

Thanks Lubos - They come from a journal entry - all the financial information in this file is journaled quarterly from the client’s raw BAS input sheet. It worked last year, when the earlier report was printed, but now the same report doesn’t produce the same result. Very puzzling (to me)

Hello Lubos
We are now using the cloud version, but no change - the GST summary report is very different to the report printed for the same period last year. I did check where the figures came from, and they are from journals which were used to input the cash flow data for each quarter.
Really need some help here.
Regards
Peter

Manager can’t really tell whether journal entry is a sale or purchase for Tax Summary purposes.

I mean, sales invoice is always a sale. Purchase invoice is always a purchase but journal entry can be either.

For this reason, on each journal entry there is a dropdown:

2 Likes

Thanks Lubos - will go through the journals and fill the dropdown.
Is this a change since the older reports were printed 01/09/2020?
Regards
Peter

Just looked at the journals - the tax purpose switch applies to the whole journal. These journals have sales and purchase entries in the one journal - the whole quarterly income and expense summary for the business. They don’t all have GST, and some are input taxed, some are GST free. However, they all have the GST flag at the end of the line set to the correct GST rate or none in the case of most of the capital accounts, although capital purchases and sales have GST… I am still puzzled as to why the earlier report was correct, and quite different to the report for the same period now.
The journal entries are all dr or cr, and the account they are posted to would determine whether they are treated as a sale or a purchase.
Has there been a change in the GST report structure since the old reports were printed?
Regards
Peter

Line items with tax codes for purchase must be in a separate journal entry to line items with a tax code for a sale.

If you had any journal entries reducing sales or reducing purchased then your old tax reports were not correct, but would have had the correct net tax.

Thanks Patch - I have separated the purchase and sales entries, and the report worked as expected.
However, when I ran the same report last year, it worked but now it doesn’t. I have attached a copy of the report printed last year and the same report this year.Those journals haven’t been changed yet, as you can see from the report printed yesterday. The report printed last year is very different.
It would appear there has been a change in Manager since that report was printed, as the data for that period hasn’t been changed yet.

GST Manager 2018-19 printed 202107.pdf (73.1 KB)
GST Manager 2018-19.pdf (73.4 KB)

I’m not worried about it, just interested in why.

Kind regards
Peter

Because it is important Manager produces reports which are always correct not sometimes correct.

When applying a journal entry correction the sales / purchase adjustment can be positive or negative. As such Managers can not determine from the sign of the amount if it is a sale or purchase so now it asks the user to specify. That guarantees it is classified exactly as the user specified.

In the past Manager took a guess. The guess was often correct provided you used journal entries to record common purchases or common sales (not refunds or negative adjustments).

Now it is always correct but you have to specify which it is.

Thank you Patch
Good to know, and it explains why Manager produced the correct report (by chance) 12 months ago but doesn’t do that now. I must have missed the sales/purchases election at the bottom of the journal, so they are now all sales by default.

Kind regards
Peter

You can use form defaults to control this if your most common setting is different.

Thanks Patch - that’s good, will set it the most frequent one… I meant the previous journals would all be sales as I hadn’t noticed the sales/purchases flag.
Kind regards
Peter