Production order - production stage elevated

OK. I think everyone is agreeing.

Manager making the assumption that no production process is circular is the case for most production processes. It would only be a problem for those users with circular production process which they have entered into Manager. Most biologic processes are circular such as live stock, farming etc. How much of a problem it is maybe apparent by the volume of forum user concerns with the new changes. It’s not a problem for me.

I concur, although I cannot tell from your post which side of the question you are on. I believe only two users have mentioned what appear to be circular processes—very few considering all the production orders in existence that did not need to pay attention to the issue at all.

Not really. They start somewhere. A farmer buys seeds and produces soybeans. Some of the soybeans may be processed for future planting, but those are not the same seeds as ones that could be purchased. That argues for separate inventory items: purchased seed and self-processed seed. A piglet grows into a hog, but does not generally become a separate item through production orders, just bigger over time. When livestock is turned into something distinguishable (a calf is turned into a steer), it is not going to be converted back (the steer is never going to become part or all of a calf).

So hopefully it is a minor problem. I suspect many are just ignoring it as a better solution has been mention or have not realise it effects them yet. A similar change was implemented with email transmission and user complaints were spread over at least 6 months.

The assumption so far is all occurrences of circular production in Manger are user error in describing their production process. Without knowing all users business practices, I’m not sure that assumption is always correct. Livestock breading is circular, a business buys some cows & a bull. Sells some of the off spring and keeps some to add to the breeding sock. Later buys other stock to improve the blood line. Circular processes are very common in nature and biologic breading cycles.

The more difficult question is how often is an actual circular production process entered in Manger, and when it is, what is a reasonable way to report the costing or at least clear the error flagging.

I have a more charitable view. I don’t think most users have yet defined their production stages at all. Remember, the field does not appear until you have production orders. And you actually need to have multi-stage production before Manager alerts you of the need to elevate stages of some items. A user could easily go for years under the new regimen, happily producing things out of purchased input items, without even knowing the feature is there.

Generally, circular production only has an impact on Users accounting if they have multi-stage processes occurring on the same day - which process occurred first. Multi-stage processes on different dates, doesn’t cause any accounting issues.

Yes, but you don’t utilise Production Orders for livestock breeding, or other farm production.

What would the livestock Production Order look like:
Raw Material Inputs: Bull + Cow
Finished Goods Output: Calf

NO! :laughing:

HI I think I must be having a senior moment with this. I’ve just had a look at this and originally I had two pages, so I did the batch update on the first page. Then I clicked only second page, did the batch update and it all disappeared! What on earth has it done? Totes confused! :woozy_face:

It is impossible to answer your question without having seen your records at each stage. Very likely, the program functioned exactly as intended. That is, it determined, on the basis of your prior production orders, that some inventory items needed to have their production stages set to higher levels—and recommended what those levels should be. When you did the batch update, the program assessed that all production stages are now appropriate.

No affect on your accounting, and nothing else for you to do. Make sure you’ve read the Guide: Manage production stages | Manager.

Thanks Tut