INVOICE only with VAT amount-how

You are going to need to provide more specific information before anyone can help. You and @Hennie may need to switch to Dutch and private messages.

Currently I am abroad. This weekend I Will be back and respond. Regards Hennie.

I have face a similar situation to this when importing from the USA into the UK.

You pay the supplier for the goods, which are invoiced to you without any taxes.
However, when it arrives in the UK, the clearance agent who handles the import for you will charge for:-

1. Clearance Charges - Basically the agent’s fee for doing the paper-work
  2. Any fixed ad-valorem or import taxes.
  3. The Value of VAT, which in the UK is 20% of the sum of the cost of the goods, import tax, and clearance costs.

Typically, I receive an invoice firstly from the supplier, then a further invoice from the clearance agent.
Handling the supplier invoice in Manager is simple - we all know how to do it.
Handling the clearance agent’s invoice is however more troublesome, because the VAT value does not represent 20% of the Net.

The way I have done it is:-
Enter the initial supplier invoice in the normal way, which does not involve any VAT
Then,on receipt of the clearance agent’s invoice and papers, make a journal entry, where the total gross value of the invoice is Credited to the Bank Account, and the VAT value Debited to the VAT/Tax account in Manager, and clearance costs and any other duties Debited to the relevant cost accounts.

I for one would be interested to hear any comments about alternative ways to handle this in Manager.

That is example of invoice front side and back side (specification).
The best way to solve that will be add in manager custom field of tax where we can put manually amount of payed tax.
In that way amounts in summary will be correct.

As I mentioned before, read the Guide: Create and use tax codes | Manager. The section on custom tax codes includes description of the 100% tax code. The example says you would pay the tax directly to the tax authority, but it’s the same approach when you pay it to the clearance agent. The line item would be described as VAT, the amount would be entered, and the 100% tax code would be applied. The entire amount on that line will be posted to Tax payable. Since it’s a receipt, this will reduce the amount owing. (I’m assuming the tax is offsetting, that is, that what you collect from customers is offset by what you pay to suppliers or agents or tax authorities.

Read this topic - this method uses standard tax code

Yes but with that metode i must put appart account in manager and total of invoice is not correct with 73.70eu in that example but gets 129,85eu because of that 100% vat.
In the tax is loking that in that way:
Name->custom tax-> single rate-> 100%
and i must put that to apart account in summary what i called Payed VAT

Yes but i need to summary must be good otherwise i cant count in all year the tax good for the tax office.

The summary will be good using that method, why wouldn’t it be

It sounds like you have unnecessarily created an expense account called Payed VAT. You should instead post transactions of purely VAT amounts to Tax payable, where they will offset VAT you owe to your tax authority.

Further than that, I cannot understand your posting, because none of your numbers match the invoice you posted. I think we have some language barriers that @Hennie will be able to resolve when he returns.

I make mistake in amount i was mean 73.70eu invoice amount. I think to i dont understeand way how i must make it to will be everything ok in purchase invoice and summary.
And you have right in that to i created an expense account Payed VAT because i dont know how to solve that in other way to summary and purchace invoice good added in manager.

Do you can explain me how to make it step by step beacuse my english in that part of accountancy is not strog.

Did you read the Guide on tax codes? Create and use tax codes | Manager.

Without knowing your Account codes the Purchase Invoices would look like this

The VAT would be posted to the correct Tax Payable account

1 Like

Ooohh now i understeand.
That is good solution.
But also on some invoices the statistic value is not correct then i must count that myself from customs charge vat.
That field before duty or tax it must be added to “intrest recived” or other one to summary will be ok?

By the way i dont understeand why we cant make custom field in manager just for tax without unit price and making of extra non taxable field to take off the amount of unit.

Tut i read it but i think to i didnt understeand fully.

1 Like

There is a vat tax return report for the netherlands but it only works with the standard vat tax codes. Amounts entered via a custom code do not appear on the report. The problem can be solved with workaround which I will explain once I am back home this weekend. So please be patient.
Regards
Hennie.

1 Like

But ho wit will be looking that Account codes by you in that example it will be help me to make that correct.

For the first two lines you could use - Importing Charges
For the next two lines you could use - Clearing Account (as it will always end up as zero)

@Tut - there is a problem with what you advised above “you will need to activate a 100% tax code so the entire amount goes towards VAT paid”

As noted by yourself in another topic with regards to tax reports “But I suspect it only draws on built-in tax codes, not custom codes you create yourself.”

And noted by @Hennie above “There is a vat tax return report for the Netherlands but it only works with the standard vat tax codes. Amounts entered via a custom code do not appear on the report.”

While the 100% tax code may work from an accounting perspective, it doesn’t with regards to tax reporting.
Perhaps the Guide with regards to the custom 100%, should contain an alert that usage of this code will not output to tax reports if that is an expectation.

The only way to take up separated import tax charges and have them included in the reporting is as demonstrated above, using the in-built codes with a two line entry. Perhaps the Guide should also include this method.

Valid concern. That was in a discussion of the BAS worksheet. I still don’t know how that works. But the 100% custom tax code is linked to Tax payable just like any in-built tax code. So the accounting magic will work. I just don’t know how it ripples through to that single-country worksheet. And not knowing how the worksheet should function, I’m not in a position to test it. Maybe you could? I’d be happy to enhance the guide if testing shows it doesn’t work. I’d need a good example, though.

No disputing that the accounting works - but it doesn’t (can’t) ripple through to the tax worksheet.
There is no need to test it as the Custom 100% code itself tells you that it doesn’t (can’t) ripple through.

Lets assume that a tax worksheet has these labelled fields T1, T2, T3, T4 etc.
The inbuilt tax code does two things with a transaction, it puts a value into the Tax Payable account and points that same value to the appropriate worksheet field for that transaction.

The Custom 100% code only does one thing, puts a value in the Tax Payable account. It doesn’t have any pointer that will put the value to a tax worksheet field.

Therefore, for those countries with tax worksheet capabilities and GST/VAT import type transactions - that is useless. That’s your example, no pointer means the tax worksheet connection doesn’t (can’t) function.

Furthermore that is why Australia has a special inbuilt code, to cater for the short comings of the custom 100% code. @Hennie has obviously tested (discovered) it, that’s why he was so definitive in his comment.

So the custom 100% code is only relevant to countries that don’t have a connected tax worksheet report.
That’s is the Guide’s alert/warning - This custom 100% code shouldn’t be used if you are also using the tax worksheet reporting feature. For tax worksheet users, you need to use the standard in-built codes where import tax is charged separately from the Purchase Invoice - in these cases you need to follow the following example (demo of the two line process).