Installing Manager Server edition

Did you want help on the INTERNET setup and remote access?

1 Like

Thank you @Lance. I actually done setting up my Windows Desktop PC working as Server Machine the automatically run via “nssm”. My Staff can access their respective tabs in accounting book that I created, via (any device MBP/iMac/iPhone/Android). What I really need to be done is letting them access this accounting book via INTERNET since they are far from me and we are not located on the same area.

You need to allow access from the Internet - you will have to configure your modem/router to allow this

Be aware that this will create a major security risk as anyone on the internet will possibly have access to your PC - I hope you are confident in your ability to do this and manage the risks involved

1 Like

I will give a brief run-down of what i did.

(Take note that this is something a qualified IT personal will do. So unless you can, please ask an IT personal to assist)

1. Stable Internet data connection

2. To have a stable Internet IP address and hostname, better to purchase a free domain and active DNS via https://www.noip.com

3. Purchase SSL certificate (to keep the Internet transmission secure). Instructions available via https://www.noip.com

4. Install SSL on Host PC.
    How to Purchase and Configure a TrustCor Premium DV SSL

5. Get a router. A brand that has clear instructions on how to set the PORT FORWARDING.

6. Connect router to the Host PC

7. Login via web browser into router

8. Go to WAN ( or Advanced)settings (or however the router settings is on Internet/wide area network setup)

9. Go to Port Fowarding. See simple instructions of Port forwarding on How to Port Forward - General Guide to Multiple Router Brands | Support | No-IP Knowledge Base

10. Once Port forwarding is done, you can now give the link to other users who can login safely and remotely access Manager.

Remember,

1. Having a domain and hostname helps to point access of Manager directly to the Host PC without having to show the host IP address publicly. Also, instead of having a numerical address, a hostname makes remembering lot easier.
  2. Having a SSL certificate is important to protect and secure that connection.

To give you a hint of costs involved with this exercise;

1. Manager Server edition US$490 (one off)
  2. Router US$90-98 (one off)
  3. Hostname via www.noip.com (free)
  4. Domain name (free)
  5. SSL certificate (US$4 annual fee)
2 Likes

You forget the cost for the server itself, i.e. the PC that has Manager Server installed. As for SSL a free Let’s Encrypt would be more than enough. The key issue would be if your internet provider allows port forwarding. Most of the time you would need a fixed IP adress and they will not provide these.

2 Likes

Thank you for that.

I have used the host PC as the server.

As for the fixed IP address, www.noip.com provides that via its free DNS service and its DUC (Dynamic Update Client)

1 Like

Yes I realized that the DUC will do the trick. There is an inherent danger with using your working PC as a Server for internet applications. I assume that you have plenty of bandwidth so your ISP will not complain of unfair use and disconnect you or charge you more.

The other team members may need to be able to access the Manager server 24/7 so reliability, accessibility (power outages), etc. all may come in play. When providing a team access at least one should consider a VPS rather than a self-hosted server.

1 Like

Great discussion here.

These are factors which our friend needs to consider very well.

In my country, bandwidth is not an issue. Power outages is definitely an issue.

And yes, I have always advised client to use a VPS.

@85380ME , please take note of all of these.

1 Like

Also, @85380ME, note that the server license is not perpetual when it comes to software updates. Yes, you own the version you bought forever. But after a year, you need to pay to renew the license to be able to update further. That is more more reason to go with the cloud edition.

3 Likes

Thanks @Tut, :blush: I’ll take note of that.
But for the meanwhile and our main office is not yet fix due to all of us are scattered. I will have resort to this option, and when our Company grow and demand more features or updates we will finally settle for the most appropriate and convenient one.

Thank you so much @Lance, and @eko well noted, though this huge task is challenging it’s worth learning while running our business. Thank you all for your valuable contributions, insight we appreciate you much, and will let you all know if everything goes well. :pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like