Import of Backup Files Issue with Newer Versions

As you can see @Tut - no double payment of tax!

Robert

• You entered data erroneously. GST is never payable on both the invoice and payment.

• Manager has now explicitly detected this user error and is preventing it, that is an good Manger improvement.

• You now expect long term program code modification and maintenance to allow continued user data entry error only for one user. (only one other user has reported making the same repeated error as you and he has since corrected his records).

In my opinion there are much greater benefit tasks NG Software should invest there resources in.

2 Likes

You are fortunate. Although it is not what I meant when I wrote it, apparently the program did partially ignore the tax code on receipts posted to Accounts receivable. It took it into account for calculating the total amount received, but did not post tax to the tax liability account. So you have escaped overpaying and trouble with the tax authority. Nevertheless, your records still contain faulty accounting.

1 Like

Thanks @Patch , but I presume you did not check the screenshots
As I have patiently explained to @Tut, his assertion of paying tax twice was incorrect
Tax was only paid once and previous version involved handled everything ok

I’m ultra disappointed in the responses I have received from you guys
You are more concerned with convincing the user everything is their fault rather than honoring undertakings given

I don’t think I have ever read a post on this forum where the user was not blamed
Should have known better than to waste my time :thinking:

Given your responses so far, I don’t think I can be both bothered wasting even further time explaining the foreign exchange issue that has appeared after importing the backups into the latest version
Will just have to stay with my old version

However I would like to hear directly from the person who gave me the upgrade undertaking in the first place
Could you ask @lubos to contact me please?

1 Like

I don’t regard having to amend 5000 receipts as “fortunate”

That is what batch update is for. To calculate the correct amount, in your spread sheet enter the following formula using a relative reference to the Amount you entered. Copy the formula to calculate the 5000 receipts.

= 1.1 * < old amount >

Then past value to overwrite old amount
Then import back into Manager

Shouldn’t be too hard for a software developer such as yourself to do. But more than happy to help further thought if I can.

Edit
For new payments / receipts you can continue to enter the GST exempt price but after it write

Manager will then do the calculation for you.

Now @boberg, I am not trying to be a nark but here is some home truths.

That backup compatibility assurance has been completely honoured, let me explain this way.
Your version 19.7.62 backup used database structure “A”, and after updating to 21.3.75 your backup was imported still using database structure “A” - hence compatibility has been honoured.

However, if 19.7.62 used database structure “A” and 21.3.75 used database structure “B” so that the 19.7.62 backup couldn’t be imported into 21.3.75, then your argument regarding compatibility not being honoured would be a winner - but this is not the case as you were able to import the 19.7.62 backup into 21.3.75

User data entry, either correctly or incorrectly, is a completely separate matter to backups.
Manager as it develops adds new features and improves data entry controls so as to prevent users from doing bad habits - your adding of tax codes to receipts in 19.7.62 was a bad habit even though it had no impact on the reporting.

It is a bad habit because tax codes should only be added to a transaction ONCE, in your case the Sales Invoice. The receipt paying that Sales Invoice is a financial transaction (invoice payment) and financial transaction are tax code exempt. All very basic accounting.

The failure of your accountant and auditor to detect that you were adding tax codes TWICE to the same transaction probably meant that they were only reviewing / reconciling totals, rather than your processes - now that lack of review has come back to bite you.

Or let me put in another way, if a car manufacturer has a 2019 model with flaws, you wouldn’t expect to find the 2021 model with the same flaws - that is what Manger did, it fixed a flaw.

Because it is not incorrect to apply tax codes to a receipt, when it is a CASH SALE, a sale that doesn’t require a Sales Invoice. Next time you go to the Newsagent, your purchases are a cash sale displaying tax inclusive amounts - assuming you don’t have a credit account.

You are correct, the version 19.7.62 did not apply the tax codes twice, but in your case the user via their keyboard data entry applied the tax code twice, once on the Sales Invoice and once on the Receipt and via the upgrade to 21.3.75, YOUR erroneous data entry has come back to bite.

I realise by now you are probably huffing and puffing but in this situation you only have yourself to blame for mis interrupting how the tax codes should have been applied.

If I was you, I would continue with 19.7.62 until your next financial year end and then with 21.5.75 (or the current version at that time) start a new business and transfer over the balances. After six months into the new year you will probably never refer back to the old business. Much simpler then correcting thousands of invoices which you will probably never look at.

Now I am a IT novice, but being a server edition user, you can probably have both versions installed, you will just need to keep the edition data files (businesses) in separate locations so that 21.5.75 doesn’t want to modify 19.7.62 data files

1 Like

Strange logic @Brucanna
I can’t be bothered going over the flaws in your argument again
It seems YOU also subscribe to “the user is always wrong” philosophy
Rather sad when it’s such a trivial matter for ManagerIO to fix
Oh well…

I haven’t even started to attempt analysis of the foreign exchange issue yet
In version 19.7.62 my “Foreign exchange gains (losses)” look reasonable at (23000) over 4 years
But in version 21.3.75 (after import) that figure has change to losses of over 5 million
No doubt that this will also be my fault :wink:
But before I get into the forensics, are there any known issues in this area?

What’s strange about providing a clear differentiation between responsibilities.
Manager is responsible for backup compatibility while the User is responsible for data entry.

I have not subscribed to any philosophy, I have done nothing more but relied upon the factual information in which YOU yourself voluntarily provided - that is - the screenshots where you have illustrated:

1. a Sales Invoice with a tax code inclusion, and
  2. a receipt for the same Sales Invoice being posted to Accts Receivable with a tax code inclusion.

Regardless of what Manager may or may not have allowed, and how it should or should not resolve the situation there hasn’t been any acknowledgement by yourself that YOU have contributed to the problem by erroneously adding tax codes to the receipts.

It appears from the constant theme of your posts, that you have subscribed to the fact “I am not to blame for the flaws in my own data entry”.

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind remarks @brucanna :roll_eyes:
Let’s not prolong this war of words any longer
I’ll leave your latest remarks for the wicketkeeper and let you have the last say
Otherwise we will continue to go around in circles ad infinitum…

However, you ignored the question I posted regarding my foreign exchange issue after importing from an older version
As I said in my previous post, I have not started any forensics on the problem yet, but am just asking if there are any known issues in this area before I dive in?

Somewhere in between 19.7.62 and 21.3.75 Manager dropped the predefined list of base currencies in favor of a more open user-defined setup to allow for crypto currencies like bitcoin and whatnot.

I’d wager on your base currency setting being the cause of this.

I didn’t ignore it as you haven’t provided any meaningful screenshots in which one can make any meaningful response, however, I believe your foreign exchange situation is also covered by my previous advice with regards to the sales invoice situation, which was:

But looking into @Ealfardan suggestion in their above post maybe a starting point if you are persistent on fixing the history.