Cash Sale Totals

I have recently discovered Manager for my small business and so far I am quite pleased with it.

With that being said, I have one issue that I am not sure is an issue with the software or the user!! What I am attempting to do is reduce my inventory for items I use in my shop (consumables) and this is the only way I have found that will allow me to do that. Realistically, there should be a way I can charge items to my shop at the price paid, rather than retail without having to make an invoice sale or cash sale; perhaps a way to edit the amount on hand and mark it against “shop use” without actually having to record a sale of some sorts.

My issue is (referring to the photo above) is that there is no Grand Total which shows the total of both the sale amount and sales tax. When posting to the bank account, the amount posted reflects only the Total, not the total including tax.

I believe there should be a Grand Total line on the receipt which would 1, prevent errors in adding the two totals together, 2, reflect the total amount charged the customer, and 3, avoid customer questions and complaints when they get the receipt.

If I have set this up incorrectly, please let me know.

Yes, use the Inventory Write-Off tab, you can nominate any expense account to suit

6.50 is the total of both the sale and the tax, and would be the amount posted to the bank account

You have actually raised two issues:

• Consumption of inventory items for non-revenue purposes
  • Tax-inclusive accounting for sales

The way to adjust inventory without recording a sale is with an inventory write-off. The value of the item removed from inventory will come out at the current average cost, not the retail sales price. See this Guide: Write off inventory | Manager.

Assuming that you also make sales of Ethanol Shield to outside customers, it is appropriate to hold the item in inventory. Or you can hold it in inventory simply as a way of recording the amount on hand so you know when to reorder. But if this is something you use only in small amounts at a time as a consumable shop supply, there is no need to put it into inventory as an inventory item at all. Just create a Consumable supplies expense account and post your purchases of the item there.

Now, on to your question about grand totals and taxes. Receipts and payments are always tax-inclusive. So in your example, you have told the program that you have sold one 2 oz. unit of Ethanol Shield for 6.50, including sales tax. Manager calculates what the price would have been so that when 6.75% is added, the amount comes to 6.50. That amount is 6.50 / 1.0675 = 6.09. Manager posts 6.09 to an income account and the difference, 0.41, to Tax payable. Thus, the receipt shows that a total of 6.50 was received, which includes 6.75% sales tax of 0.41.

Sales invoices, on the other hand are, by default, tax-exclusive, meaning they add the tax amount to the total to give a total balance due. However, they can be marked to be tax-inclusive, just like a receipt.

There are two other things you should know. First, every time you have entered a receipt to record consumption of consumable supplies, you have increased your reported income. This distorts your net profit and will result in paying more income tax. So all of those transactions must be deleted and re-entered as write-offs. Or you will need to back out all such purchases from inventory by posting them instead directly to the Consumable supplies expense account I mentioned earlier.

Second, for every receipt you have entered to record shop usage, the bank or cash account to which you posted that receipt will now have an artificially high balance. The receipt tells Manager your business took in money from the outside. In the case of using inventory as a shop consumable, that did not really happen. So unless you unwind everything as described above, you will never be able to reconcile your bank statement or cash fund.

Thanks for the response. On your first suggestion, I will look at that option. As for the second, no! The total charge SHOULD be $3.91 - including the tax! The amount posted to the bank account shows ONLY the $3.50…not $3.91.

In His Grace and
with Gratitude,
Don Matthews

The example you showed was for two units of B3C @ 3.25 each, inclusive of 6.75% tax. Since this is a receipt, not a sales invoice, there is no choice about whether the amount is tax-inclusive or tax-exclusive. And the amount posted to the bank will be 6.50. If you had recorded only one unit sold, the amount posted to the bank account would be 3.25.

I don’t know where you are getting the 3.50 amount, because that is not the amount you recorded as the unit price. And 3.91 makes no sense in the context of this example, because that is the sum of your 3.50 (with unknown origin) and 0.41(the amount of tax included in a tax-inclusive sale of 6.50).

To be clear, if you want tax amounts to be added to a subtotal, with a total balance due being the sum of individual line item amounts plus the tax, you must use sales invoices. And when you do, you must leave the box indicating amounts are tax-inclusive unchecked. But then you would have to record a separate bank or cash transaction to clear the account receivable created by the sales invoice.

The $3.25 amount comes from the price I am selling the product for. When I entered the inventory item, I entered the price per unit at my cost (exclusive of sales tax) and then the sales price, excluding tax. I indicated that this item was subject to tax of 6.75%. When I sell the items using a sales invoice, as you said, the tax is calculated and added to the total price to correctly show $3.25 plus tax (in this example I sold 2 units). However if I make a cash sale, the price per unit does not change ( it still pulls the $3.25/unit from the inventory and decreases on hand stocks). The cash sale doesn’t add sales tax as a separate line item and adds to the total.

If the total showed the amount of $3.49 and the amount of tax charged, all would be fine. But it doesn’t, so in effect the customer is not being charged tax, I am.

In His Grace and
with Gratitude,
Don Matthews

My mistake with indicating $3.50 for the price, it should be $6.50 ($3.25) per unit sold in the example above. In any event, the price per unit sold is $3.25 EXCLUSIVE of tax. So, the total should be $3.49 or in the case of the example above $6.91.

If using an invoice is the only solution to the issue, then so be it, although I do believe the two should work in the same manner. A quick cash sale should include the tax the same as an invoice does (at least in my aged mind!!) Failing to include sales tax in the total forces me to pay the tax out of pocket OR enter two different inventory items, one including the sales tax and one without - that method doesn’t make much sense to me…but then again I’m not an accountant, I’m a mechanic.

No, the customer is being charged the tax, but on the assumption your price is tax-inclusive. If you usually sell with a receipt rather than a sales invoice, change the price in the inventory item to include the tax. If you sell both ways, remember to edit the unit price when you sell in the fashion that doesn’t match the inventory item definition. Remember, almost everything can always be edited.

The request to have a tax-exclusive option for payments and receipts has long been in the list of Ideas: Tax-inclusive option on cash receipts and payments. You will notice I am the forum moderator who not only put the suggestion into the Ideas category, but wrote it in the first place. So in telling you how the program works, I’m not defending it, only explaining it.

Thank you. I appreciate the work you’re doing and the capabilities of the program. I would rather, and will, use Manager instead of any of the commercial paid programs. I think your program is heads above the rest. And I’m not trying to tear the program apart or make negative comments…I just wish the cash sale and invoice options would work the same with regards to the way taxes are attributable.

Thank you for your help and direction. I am still on the learning curve. I suppose the bumps along the way are to be expected.

In His Grace and
with Gratitude,
Don Matthews