Capital Subaccounts & Share capital

I think that @lubos and @Brucanna will be the best people to help you with this questio.

Firstly as you are a limited company, you should not be using Capital Accounts. Lubos said that you could bend it to that use, but strictly speaking for accounting purposes Capital Accounts is not used for Limited Companies.

See the post here - regarding that discussion - Directors Loan Account

There is another topic which I posted in, but I can’t find it right now.

My recommendation (despite what Lubos said that Capital Accounts can be bent to that use) is to rather follow recommended accounting procedures. This way any accountant looking at your accounts understands what you have done and its always better to start off how you mean to carry on as it were.

So I would recommend that you remove Capital Accounts for your limited company, although I will admit that it does make it easier to keep track of dividends, loans etc for each shareholder.

1. To create share capital, create COA called Share Capital in Equity. Create Shareholders Loan Account in Assets or Liabiliities (I prefer Assets as I will be borrowing from the company most of the time, but if your shareholders are lending money most of the time, then I would put it in Liabilities). Do a journal entry and debit Shareholders Loan Account and Credit Share Capital.

2. Add the employee and Payroll Tabs and setup each Shareholder as an employee and create an expense account called Salary. This is if your “Shareholder Drawings” are salary payments to the shareholder for their employment. When you create payslips it will allocate the amount to salary and employee clearing account and payroll Liabilities (which are created when you add the payslips and employee tabs. When you do a bank spend you then allocate to the employee clearing account.

3. Create Dividends in Liabilities and do a journal entry and debit Retained Earnings and Credit Dividends and then do bank spend and debit Dividends if you wish to pay out immediately. Otherwise do journal entry and Debit Dividends and Credit Shareholders Loan Account.

4. Create Consultancy Work expense account and do journal entry - debit Consultancy Work Expense Account and credit Shareholders Loan Account.

This is I believe (and lubos and brucanna will correct me if I am wrong) is the correct way to do these transactions in a limited company.

Having said that, I acknowledge that this does not solve your main question which is how to track individual share capital for each shareholder and in fact this method would also make it harder to track dividends etc per shareholder. Lubos mentioned that he might be dong some work on shareholder loans accounts and presumably this issue with Share Capital. Perhaps they can explain how to track the transactions per shareholder using this accounting procedure which is the correct procedure for a ltd company as Capital Accounts is meant to be used by companies that are not incorporated as a ltd company.