Batch Create Receipts

Hi,

Am on the cloud version. I usually upload receipts and payments transactions, using Batch Create function. This time I am getting the message ‘FALSE’. It seems that the clipboard format has changed. On the new clipboard format, I cannot see under which header, I should mention (1) Bank account where transaction is received or paid <in previous format it was ReceivedIn/Paid From); (2) Corresponding GL code (previous format it was Lines.Account). Please help. Thanks

The new implementation of batch create no longer amalgamates multiple input fields in single spreadsheet cell.

So for example, in previous implementation you would have Lines.Account which would contain Account field for all line items.

New implementation separates Lines.Account field into multiple - one per each line item.

So instead of Lines.Account, you use Lines.1.Account, Lines.2.Account etc. where number represents line number.

You can create test business, create test transaction and do batch update to see how the schema works now.

But that also means that the number of columns is no longer fixed.

This makes automation difficult and less than efficient since this is as far from normal data form as could be.

Although this solves batch creation issues for less tech savy users but it also dilutes its potency for heavy users. As I see it:

• Less savy users will most likely not use batch operations because they do not offer significant time saving compared to manual entry given the amount of skill required–I doubt that any non-technical user would bother with any sheet with 50 plus columns.
  • Heavy users will most likely stop using batch operations since it became less manageable.

I really hope that you consider using rows instead of columns for this.

2 Likes

At one point, I think I saw a column called line number, I guess that was some sort of experimentation for using rows–which I believe it’s the best way to go.

I think if we used that to piece multiple rows together it would be perfect.

Say line 0 contains the header information and any line numbers after that contain transaction lines and they are appended to the nearest preceding line 0.

Any data that do not meet these validation rules could be ignored.

This is absolutely the case. I’ve just updated to the most recent version and found that all of my imports are completely broken. I will need to roll back, as this version is completely unworkable for the volumes of data we have. @lubos please please please reconsider this move as it is causing major issues.