Possible bug in implementation of "mini-statements"

I think there may be a bug in relation to the “mini-statements” that was introduced in the below mentioned 18.3.32 release.

In general I think this is a great improvement, but I just recently realised that there seems to be a bug in the implementation that only shows in very specific circumstances.

Lubos asked me to make this post here at the Forum.

The background is that I have a customer who used to be in credit (which was due to a credit note, #CR-2015002, sent out over one year ago). One 28 Feb 2018 an agreement was made and the settlement was brought into the accounts by way of a journal entry (#201707B). Since that time, the account for this customer has been “zero” (no movement).

Now on 31 May I issued a new invoice to the same customer. Even though the account was ‘zero’ prior to this invoice, the invoice will display a short ‘mini-statement’ after the Total balance (see picture).

Clearly this is very confusing and quite disturbing to have on the invoice when sending to the customer.

its a little confusing.

you said you issued a credit note CR-2015002 to your customer. so now you owe your customer 1732.50

why was a journal entry made again? was it because you did not actually owe your customer and they agreed they did not need the credit of 1732.50?

in the above case, did you select the appropriate invoice number in your credit note and in your journal entry? if you had not selected any invoice number, it would be applied to your next invoice, in this case the invoice made on 31st May.

sharpdrivetek, thanks for feedback.

Yes, your assumptions are correct: I owed the customer 1732.50, which was then settled (by the journal entry).

I think in your last paragraph you point to the real problem:
In the journal entry I cannot select a credit note, the "drop down’ selection box only shows Invoices. Thus, if I understand your comments above, the journal entry will become “a general debit” to the customer and applied at the next invoice. So I think the possible bug is that the drop down selection box only handles “debits” (i.e. invoices), which obviously is the normal scenario for a customer. In my (admittedly quite unusual case) I would like to be able to apply the journal entry towards a specific “Credit Note”, and thus (if your theory is right) I would not see this mini-statement on the next invoice.

the credit note adjusts your Accounts receivable account.
so you should be selecting this account when making the journal entry.

Yes of course. That is what I’m doing. But when doing this, I cannot select the Credit Note from the “pull down” box for this customer. This list does not include credit notes, only invoices… (See picture below)

like i said you only have to select the Accounts receivable account and the Invoice to which the credit note was applied.

the already issued credit note adjusts the Accounts receivable account of the customer. so if you had selected an invoice in your credit note, just select the same invoice in your journal entry. there is no separate account for credit notes.

This situation is illustrated in the Guide on writing off bad debts: Manager Cloud. See the last section on reversing write-offs.