My Accountants Feedback of program

Its what you are used to working. I prefer working on a cash system as I have done that all my life and for me, I just find it easier to keep on top of things that way. Its just a preference. As long as it works for me, thats all that matters!

That might not be all that matters, @dalacor. Laws or regulations might need to be considered, also. For example, in the USA, most taxpayers who produce, purchase, or sell merchandise must use the accrual method, with only specific, limited exceptions. Your form of organization might also be a factor.

Naturally, laws are relevant. I meant all other things being equal I prefer my approach. In the UK, the tax authorities are less of a pita than the US lot from everything I have heard about USA tax. We can use cash or accrual - whichever suits us.

@lubos I just wanted to remind you that your new module to handle this has not yet been implemented. Now that you have got sub accounts and control accounts done, it should be relatively simple to add your module to solve this problem.

As an accountant, I think that:

• Journal entries can be reversed just adding another journal entry.
  • To add the ability to credit/debit a bank account is not a great idea.
  • I agree with the functionality to jump to create a new account in transactions.

That said, I would like to see the Balance Sheet with Assets first and Liabilities and Capital. I mean, this is just something esthetic from reports and Iā€™m not saying to change the report, just to maybe add the option to change it. For example, add an option to change the Balance Sheet to display instead of ā€œassets - liabilities = capitalā€ to ā€œassets = liabilities + capitalā€. This is because not in all countries is the same, so in some countries we use the last option instead of the first that is the one available in Manager. Also, maybe to add the ability to create formulas for payroll transactions for deductions and automate the payroll entries. For example, in the US we have the Social Security, Medicare, etc., and some deductions/contributions are limited to certain amount per year. Letā€™s say, unemployment. Thatā€™s a tax that is limited to $7,000 per year. Maybe if Manager provide this module to make our own tables or formulas for payroll taxes is a real deal for people who needs it and depend on Quickbooks (for example) who provide the tables for a monthly fee. I donā€™t use Quickbooks, some of my clients uses it because of this feature specifically. I prefer Sage Accounting, where you can create your own formulas for this type of situation. This is just an opinion/request that I think could really help a lot of people who manage employees.

I agree. Check the latest version (16.8.82). You can now select layout when creating balance sheet report.

This will come later on.

3 Likes

Well, that was fast! Thank you very much for this.

So 1 day ago it was 16.8.82 and today when I download, itā€™s 16.8.88! :thumbsup:

More than just a good number :slight_smile:

@lubos I realise there is a ā€œrevisionā€ thread, and understand why it canā€™t be updated all the time (that in itself would be a full-time job), but an indication on the download page what the current build number/version number is would be helpful (or even a hash value). Or something in the manager.io ā€œAbout Managerā€ screen that a new version is available.

All these ideas have been mentioned previously. A specific policy is being followed of announcing major functional or feature changes so users can decide if they should update. The rest of the updates are bug fixes (which will usually be mentioned in the threads that identify the bugs) or background functionality enhancements that donā€™t affect users or arenā€™t visible. You might not like the way itā€™s being done, but should be aware the choice was conscious, not accidental. For a brief period of months, we did see a change log of every single update.

ok, no probs, I really hadnā€™t noticed. I certainly wouldnā€™t expect every minor change to be publicly documented, the man-hours would be prohibitive. But Iā€™m happy to keep checking :slight_smile: (Although thinking about it, I should do as you suggest and wait for an announcement of new features that Iā€™d like. Iā€™m happy either way).

The following URL displays the current version:

https://mngr.s3.amazonaws.com/version.txt

I agree that it would be nice to have the version number displayed on the download page (a server-side include would accomplish that), but short of that, this URL is very handy.

Not the most elegant of solutions but does exactly what I want. Bookmark added :smile:

In accrual based reporting accruals and prepayments are journalised on a monthly basis and this is the where reversing journal entries come into there own. The entries for the previous month are reversed and are replaced by new calculations for the current so what is shown in the current monthā€™s activity are the revised information for the current period. I do appreciated that if accruals and prepayments are only calculated at year end, the the reversal in the new financial year does distort the P & L with the reversed figures from the previous financial year.