Inventory Item Registration and Opening Balances

I did not see a questionnaire to that extent. Please post on behalf of yourself and not almost all users. Thank you.

How many have welcomed this change, can specify please. Whosoever has commented, probably its against it.

Well that is not possible in all the cases, in my case its almost over 300 item, how can i do that big entry. Further it has increased my task instead of reducing. Always program aims at improving the existing things not deleting and starting a new one. Please reconsider.

1 Like

Please show me how many have welcomed this changes??

Why should I? I advised that you speak for yourself and not on behalf of an unsubstantiated “…almost all users…” I actually think that the explanation in the 3rd post in this topic by @Lubos ( Inventory Item Registration and Opening Balances - #3 by lubos ) why these changes were made are very sound and therefore support the changes.

See Inventory Item Registration and Opening Balances - #18 by lubos

There’s always a compromise in any workflow so I can relate to the frustration of @CEOHaaks.

I can see that for 1000+ inventory items, writing a journal entry would be frustrating indeed especially compared to batch creating from a spreedsheet.

However, apart from that, this will reduce the work required to do the entire opening balances.

And about the 1000+ inventory journal lines, maybe Manager could create the Journal Entry structure for you, much like copying a Statement to a Receipt. What do you think @lubos?

1 Like

Thats what i suggested. There is nothing wrong with this new workflow and i like this one it looks cleaner this way. The only issue is if someone got thousands of Opening Balances that would be a complicated task for normal users even in spreadsheet. As for the current Starting Balance Journal entry for each line item there are almost 27 columns in spreadsheet.

@lubos it is consuming too much time,
first Open New Items Head, even one by one or Batch operation,
then made the JE separately. its taking time.
earlier practice was very time saving and convenient in single operation we do all work.
request to active the option of Qty on Hand & Price / Rate in Inventory section.

2 Likes

@Syed_Salman_Ali starting balances are meant to be used once only. At the beginning of starting a busienss. If you are migrating a business from previous accounting system, then it will take some work to establish starting balances for all accounts and sub-accounts.

2 Likes

Our client shipment came from out of country.
in single container they have more then 250 items.
with separate HS Code. they calculate on spread sheet.
then upload on manager. earlier it was easy through batch-operation.
now its consuming time.

1 Like

@Syed_Salman_Ali, the situation you described does not require starting balances. Any initial shipment of goods would be recorded via purchase invoices.

Dear @Syed_Salman_Ali Salman, we are really in a fix due to this change, but @lubos has his own reasons, which really are not good for us. I will once again request to reconsider old practice ie starting balance instead of JE.
Regards

2 Likes

@CEOHaaks I still don’t understand the issue. You enter starting balances only once. At the beginning. Then you never go back to them. You are not meant to be continuously adjusting them as that would be changing figures on your financial statements retrospectively which is bad.

Nobody is complaining about starting balances missing from bank accounts, customers, suppliers, employees, special accounts… etc. Only inventory items.

There is something very odd about this. The use case @Syed_Salman_Ali has mentioned is confusing to me. I don’t understand why receving goods from supplier would have anything to do with starting balances.

Let me explain.
Goods are received from abroad through container. My customer who is a clearing agent gets it cleared by customs.
Now he compiles the complete cost data for the items in the container which are usually more than 250. On a spreadsheet.
He opens an inventory head along with the container number and HS code and enters the complete details.
And updates data using batch option. In which the Item Details, Qty and its complete cost is easily uploaded. It is taking longer after the update.

So your customer started using Manager for the first time (which i doubt) after clearing the container?? If thats the case then its only one time effort and that container clearing process has nothing to do with manager. All you got is qty owned that you need to enter into Manager.
If he is already using manager then inputting items data as starting balance doesnt make even a bit of sense. Why would he enter data of items as starting balance if he isnt migrating his accounts to Manager.

@lubos is right something odd about this. This makes me think whenever they get a new item, intead of purchasing (through Purchase Invoice or Payments) they just input the item qty and cost in the starting balance. This method would ruin their all financial statements. If this is the case i dont know how can he make such mistake as he is using Manager from 2015?

The only issue about starting balances being gone is the in batch process you have to enter item as line item and every line item got like 28 columns. So thats a minor issue only for those who got a large amount of data as starting balances so they have to divide the data into multiple batches.