Incorrect value in words

@lubos

I had gone through few older posts and have successfully managed to displayed the total invoice value in words through programming a custom template.

But the issue i am facing is the thousands separation of the invoice value is not as per the currency set in settings.

To be clear, I am from India and our number format would be 1,50,000. When this value is converted to words it should be RUPEES ONE LAKH FIFTY THOUSAND.
But the output I am getting for the same value, even though the numbers are displayed correctly with correct comma separation, the value in words appear as RUPEES ONE HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND.

I have correctly set the currency and the number format in settings.

On a further note, I always round the amount to the nearest value. So I do not know how the value after decimal would appear in words. In Indian currency the value after the decimal is PAISA in words. I would request you to kindly check this too in case its helpful to someone who do not round off the value.

I would appreciate any quick help regarding this.

TIA

Any updates please

This is reason why I’m not very keen on this feature in the first place. There are many languages and even within English, there are variations.

You have mentioned you are using:

{{ total.number | spell_out | capitalize }}

If all you need is to replace HUNDRED with LAKH, then just apply one more filter:

{{ total.number | spell_out | capitalize | replace: "HUNDRED", "LAKH" }}

But I think this is getting quite hairy.

thanks.

but i am sorry to say that does not change the result. its the same.

i got that to work. but the problem is even if the value is just in hundreds, say 150, the result is One Lakh Fifty.

I need to find a workaround for this problem.

Before we go any further, is invoice without figure spelled out not legally valid in India?

Following is an extract from the notification received.

Subject to rule 7, a tax invoice referred to in section 31 shall be issued by the registered person containing the following particulars:

(a) name, address and GSTIN of the supplier;
(b) a consecutive serial number not exceeding sixteen characters, in one or multiple series, containing alphabets or numerals or special characters hyphen or dash and slash symbolised as “-” and "/” respectively, and any combination thereof, unique for a financial year;
(c) date of its issue;
(d) name, address and GSTIN or UIN, if registered, of the recipient;
(e) name and address of the recipient and the address of delivery, along with the name of State and its code, if such recipient is un-registered and where the value of taxable supply is fifty thousand rupees or more;
(f) HSN code of goods or Accounting Code of services;
(g) description of goods or services;
(h) quantity in case of goods and unit or Unique Quantity Code thereof;
(i) total value of supply of goods or services or both;
(j) taxable value of supply of goods or services or both taking into account discount or abatement, if any;
(k) rate of tax (central tax, State tax, integrated tax, Union territory tax or cess);
(l) amount of tax charged in respect of taxable goods or services (central tax, State tax, integrated tax, Union territory tax or cess);
(m) place of supply along with the name of State, in case of a supply in the course of inter-State trade or commerce;
(n) address of delivery where the same is different from the place of supply;
(o) whether the tax is payable on reverse charge basis; and
(p) signature or digital signature of the supplier or his authorized representative

While the notification does not refer anything regarding the value in words, it is a common practice in India to mention the value in words. And the sample invoice for GST received from the govt too has the same. So it is like an unwritten rule to have the value in words for elimination errors in accounting and when filing the tax returns.

Regarding the new GST the notification we received is as below. You may go through it if you have some time to spare. :slight_smile:

@lubos The draft copy in the link has the invoice value in words… So i guess legally it will be necessary…

Lakh and Paisa is valid only in India so you need special customization for your country. The present ONE HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND wording is fine for all other countries.

In addition to above. If you use an international product you need to adopt to it or you need to use a local product that would suite your requirements.

I understand the customization is applicable for Indian users. I only need help with the customization so that we can continue using this wonderful product and make it as international as possible. thus the purpose of this forum. :slight_smile:

I am confident lubos will come up with a solution soon since it is not for my personal convenience alone.

3 Likes

In New GST formates, AMOUNT IN WORDS required. And In India, Invoice with Amount In Words was Preferred. But Now In GST, Its compulsory Required.
And If the amount is 1,50,555 then the valid spell is like… ONE LAKH FIFTY THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED FIFTY FIVE.

I thought Americans were the people who invent complex and new ways for every simple thing but India is worse. What is happening in India? why are there so many regulations aimed at making commerce difficult for Indian citizens and increase the number of law breakers?

Your new disclosure on Invoices is crazy, you charge GST on GST, you charge VAT on GST and GST on VAT etc you need to display about 15 columns on invoices, … am confused.

Hopefully the programmer invent some tools to help you guys deal with all that. The rest of Manager.io users in the rest of the world don’t need all that for now.

1 Like

Just hope it doesn’t become contagious.

Hahaha

We are trying our best to contain the situation ourselves. :wink:

India is a secular country. The centre has powers and so do the states. There is no GST on GST and you dont have to be confused about it. There is only one GST which is divided between the state and centre. So it appears to you as GST on GST. If GST is 10%, during intra-state sale, state takes 5% centre takes 5% and in case of inter-state sale the whole 10% goes to the centre. We just have to show this separately on the invoice.

Every product sold do not fall under the same tax rate and hence the need to display the tax rate of each line item rather than calculate from the subtotal.

Even we took some time to understand all this so I can understand your situation. :slightly_smiling_face:

What are your cash register receipts like?

Does there exist a cash register that can print out a receipt with all that detail?

Okay then multi rates tool in Manager can display them but of course not in the tabular form but among the totals.

You can create many tax codes and direct them into accounts of choice and apply them per the transaction (intra or inter state)

@sharpdrivetek
So you can have a tax code that direct all 10% into VAT account called ABC
Another tax code that direct 6% to CBA and 4% to ABC
Another code that direct 3% to EFG 3%CBA and 4% to ABC

It it certain that for every transaction only one GST distribution will apply, so create Tax codes for these possible GST distributions and apply when relevant, Manager.io allows you to choose account of choice so you can direct them into any account of choice.

I don’t know the Indian system, I am trying to bring out ideas on how you can capture these transaction on Manager without any troubles.

Do you get me?

I appreciate your help. I have already sorted out the tax codes. We just need the modifications with the template as the new requirements are beyond the scope of customization by a user. Most of which we need support from developer.

Great to know we are moving forward, so as far as you are concerned it just the presentation that is the problem.