Goods return (Cash sale/purchase) causes Gross Sales error

At the risk of going off topic on my thread and never getting an answer to my current issue (which is actually the issue I want a workable solution for).

Unfortunately I suspect my problem is due to the limited capabilities of Managers current cash sales/purchases functionality. In contrast for business who make all sales and purchases via invoices I believe this functionality is available. The details of how it occurs I believe are, for Purchases:

A similar but reciprocal approach applies to Sales:

In contrast for cash purchases the following approach is taken:

A similar but reciprocal approach applies to cash Sales:

A solution is to treat cash sales / purchases in similar manner to how invoices are processed. So for cash purchases this would mean

A similar but reciprocal approach would apply to cash Sales:

The critical function illustrated are:

• The transaction relates to a sale or purchase component of the tax code because the user tells Manager it is a sale or purchase not because of the sign of the amount.

• The changes in Managers behavior only effect transactions with negative “Amount” (which only occur if manually created and really only makes sense for product returns).

• Item 3 in the above illustrations is there only to show compatibility with Manger later recording cash transactions against specific suppler / customer accounts. This is the subject of a different idea. Implementation probably involves, when a supplier / customer is specified putting the transaction through their account by posting an equal valued credit and debit.