Email Service Failure on Desktop Version

Is anyone else having an issue with email functionality in manager dying after a period of time? 6-7 Hrs? When I try to send an invoice or a report when manager has been running for an extended period I get a whole bunch of red text across the screen referencing something to do with Boolean data but it runs off the screen. I close and restart manager and all is well again. Currently running 18.1.72 but happened on the last few versions as well. Will post a screenshot as soon as I catch it again.

1 Like

i do not have the Desktop edition running for a long period as i personally do not find the need to.
so no such experience. also, i am using a custom smtp server for email.
anyway it would be better if you can post the screenshot of the error so that the developer can have look at the issue.

Error Screenshot above.

Looks exactly like what I had come up, using 18.1.88.
Haven’t been able to replicate it again so didn’t think anything of it.
Will grab a screen shot if it happens again.

1 Like

cache maybe?

Hard to say. I have the program open from 8am til 5pm and sometimes move between “businesses”.
It’s only happened once so far to me, and only when I went to email a purchase order.

Mines open at least 12-13 hours at a time in the same business. Happens pretty much daily, have never gone more than 2 days without seeing the error. @lubos any suggestions?

and again just now

@joelp, are you using a custom theme?

Also, does this happen with only one transaction type? If so, which one?

You mentioned it happened when sending a report. Which one?

If you are using custom themes, switch them back to the Plain theme and see if the problem persists. If the problem goes away, the difficulty lies with your custom theme code.

No custom themes at all.

Happens with invoices, gst reports gl reports. Doesnt matter what i generate All generate fine its when i then go to email it crashes with this error. Only when i hit send.

Not all the time but at least once per day. Starting to become a real issue. Never used to happen in previous versions but has in the last few.

Easily fixed by closing and reopening manager. No reboot required or any thing else.

Perhaps someone else using the desktop version could leave it running for a long period and see if they have the same issue.

Lots of users keep the desktop edition open for extended periods, some non-stop. I think if your problem were common, we would have heard from others. Frequently, email and PDF generation problems are caused by custom themes. If you aren’t using them, it is something else.

So, next question. Have you moved your data file to a storage device or cloud service other than the default location on the computer where you have Manager installed?

Well at least 1 other user has seen the issue as above.

No. Have never moved the data file. No cloud anything. Just on a a laptop. As I said. Issue has only appeared with the latest few versions. Have been running manager for approx 3.5 years.

But the other user could not duplicate the problem.

I am sorry, I cannot help you further. Hopefully, another user can.

and again this morning when trying to send a statement.

Might not help
 can @joelp continue using managerserver.exe trial version for the several days / or close Manager Desktop clear temporary data (windows) using cleaning tools and restart computer. Then, use it for several days whether it come up the same error.

Else, I might need to see how long the error part where '
 part of the path ‘C:\Users\Vostro.
’

Might shed some idea for myself.

@acecombat2 the screenshot shows exactly what appears on screen the error is cut off like it shows. Is there a log file for manager that may show the full path.

If a simple exit and restart of manager fixes the issue, and it is a possible issue with cache, doesn’t this suggest the issue lies with manager?

Can you explain in a little more detail what you are suggesting?

Well. When I took a glanced to the first line of error. It might something to do with windows. The rest are manager’s internal error. Windows have peculiar limitation when it comes length of path folder strings acceptable to at least read the file or folder. Had known the error when I created folders within folders to 4 levels with long path strings. So it might be that kind of error. Also, the error did not occured when you run the program and sent the email at short time. Other, possibility might be the cache or temp file within temp folder/appdata due to the same first line of error and its inconsistent trigger event. Else, I don’t have any idea. All above just a hunch.

@joelp, I’m interested in the first line. It seems like Manager is trying to access directory which doesn’t exist. But the directory path is cut off. Could you try to copy & paste the error message here? This should copy the whole line even though the end of the line does not fit the screen.

Once I see the full directory name, we could possibly figure it out.

1 Like

@lubos

See Below

If the path did not exist, why does closing and reopening manager make it work again?

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\VOSTRO\AppData\Local\Temp\Apitron\bc12b286-025b-49b1-a8bf-71eecb5049af'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at ank1Ⴃ.ႀႳႳ ..ctor(Byte[] )

at ank1Ⴃ.ႀႳႳ ..ctor(Byte[] , Boolean )

at ank1Ⴃ.ႭႠႌႰ.á‚„á‚° (Stream )

at ManagerServer.PdfConverter.Img(IHtmlImageElement node)

at ManagerServer.PdfConverter.ContentElement(INode node, Font font, Boolean nowrap)

at ManagerServer.PdfConverter.ContentElement(INode node, Font font, Boolean nowrap)

at ManagerServer.PdfConverter.Tr(IHtmlTableRowElement node, Font font)

at ManagerServer.PdfConverter.Table(IHtmlTableElement node, Font font)

at ManagerServer.PdfConverter.Tr(IHtmlTableRowElement node, Font font)

at ManagerServer.PdfConverter.ConvertHtmlToPdf(String input, Stream output, PageBoundary pageBoundary)

at ManagerServer.HttpHandlers.Businesses.Business.Email.Post()