Depreciation fixed assets (expense) account

If you use a journal entry, then you don’t use the specific input module to handle depreciation.
This means that individual fixed assets don’t get depreciated, just the group of fixed assets.

If you want journal entry and individual fixed asset depreciation then you need to use a spreadsheet first. This may seem a duplication but that depends on how important your Balance Sheet layout is.

@rupelja, you need to understand that Manager is not set up to support instruction about classical accounting procedures, under which every form of transaction is a journal entry. Instead, it is designed to minimize the need for journal entries by making context-specific decisions concerning what is a debit and what is a credit. As an accounting instructor, you will be well aware that is what most novices struggle to understand. So Manager tries to remove all that from the process to the extent feasible. Of course, the results is the same. But the consequence is you cannot mix and match the built-in control accounts and hard-coded processes with manual entries in many cases. That’s just another way of saying you have to use the program the way it was designed. Once you understand it, it’s remarkably flexible. But there are definitely things you cannot do in the way you might be accustomed.

Hi Tut. Thanks for the input.

I fully understand what Manager is and what it does in terms of streamlining the Accounting/Bookkeeping process. As I mentioned to Brucanna, I appreciate that Manager has a free desktop version. I have a significant percentage of low income students that this will help in their learning of Accounting.

That being said, I am constrained by what accounting processes/principles I am required to teach. That includes a heavy dose of Journal entries and explaining the way Accounting was performed the way it was in the past. The benefit of this? If there is a big screw-up in the bookkeeping data entry, students need to know the foundational concepts to figure out their mistake.

I am asking questions about Manager as I set-up the the class project I am required to teach and employ for my Financial Accounting course. If Manager is not a good fit, so be it. No worries. I have no expectations of success. I just need to understand how Manager works and if I need to re-write portions of the project or keep what I have now.

Then you need to learn how to set up depreciation in Manger by both methods.

Thank you Patch. As of 20 minutes ago, I do know both ways now. You are correct though, I always have students that are very sharp and pick up different ways to perform a tasks.

Exactly.

1 Like

How true this is I teach Xero and MYOB and the first thing I do is teach them the accounting principles and basics