Default backup directory should be separate from other defaults

I am wondering whether it makes sense to make the default backup directory separate from from other default directories. Clarification:

1. Click Backup button. You get an opportunity to change into which directory the backup goes. That’s good. Backup succeeds.
  2. Do some operation such as a batch update to all inventory items.When you export the tab-delimited file, the default is the same as wherever you did the last backup. The first time this is fine. So, I think, “I don’t want my tab-delimiteds in the same directory as my backups”. I change the directory to wherever I want the tab-delimited. It works, everything is fine.
  3. Then, let’s say I do another batch update or batch create. The default is where I saved the previous tab-delimited. This is very convenient at this stage.
  4. Then, I do another backup. I see that the backup is not going to go where all the backups go. The default is where I saved the tab-delimited. I can change the directory back to where the backups go. But would be nice if the default directory would have been where I last made a backup.

So, I am wondering whether it makes sense to have Manager Accounting remember separate default directories for backups.

I am using the desktop version. I don’t know how this idea would affect the cloud and server versions. So, I am wondering whether this feature of remembering the backup default directory (separate from other default directories) would make sense.

I think this a function of your operating system, not Manager. It is simply offering you the last location in whatever application your OS uses to catalog and navigate to files.

I don’t know how you are writing Manager Accounting, whether in C++, C#, or whatever. All I know is that Manager Accounting is very peppy responsive, and runs very well. I have never seen it crash. It is very well written.

If I right-click on Manager Accounting but not on a link, I get a very interesting menu. If I select “View source”, then HTML opens in Notepad. If I select Properties, then a properties window opens with a URL to localhost and shows the Internet Explorer icon, like Manager Accounting is accessing a server inside my computer instead of out on the Internet.

If I right-click on one of the links such as “Businesses” or “Preferences” then select “Open in New Window”, the default browser tries to open, but fails because of Blocked Cookies.

So, I’m guessing that Manager Accounting for Desktop might be written in HTML and JavaScript and runs inside Internet Explorer.

Then researching HTML and Javascript, seems that your answer is very succinct and 100% correct. When you put up the file selection dialog, you don’t have any way to control the dialog’s size and position. And you don’t have any way to control its default directory. And this truth is explained here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20537696/remember-and-repopulate-file-input/20537822#20537822

Makes a lot of sense to me that the free Desktop version of Manager Accounting would be written in the same languages as the paid Cloud and Server versions. I heartily agree that this is an excellent choice.

But now I stumbled into HTA (HTML Applications). Refer to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536496(v=vs.85).aspx

I don’t know, maybe you are already using this. I don’t know enough about HTA to know whether it would work or not. But I am hoping you could tell me whether HTA could be a quick and easy way to give you additional capabilities for the Desktop version. I think quick and easy is very critical because you should not have to sink any significant effort into the free version. And the Desktop shouldn’t diverge in any major way from the main branch of code.

If I get the gist of HTA, you change .html extension to .hta extension so that you can call a C# or VB program that puts up the standard file open dialog or file save dialog. From there you have much more control over setting and getting default path-filenames.

This is a major assumption for me that Manager Accounting is written in HTML and Javascript and runs in Internet Explorer. All I know is the Manager Accounting is so much peppier and easier to use than QuickBooks that I was using.

I hope you can enlighten me or tell me if you are already using HTAs or if not, whether the HTAs might be useful to you.

I’m not a developer, only a forum moderator. But I can tell you a few things. All three editions of Manager share the same code, except the desktop edition does not include multiple users. It is, indeed, browser based, and the desktop edition actually runs the server edition locally. I read once that the app is written in C#. I don’t know if that’s still true. Themes are written in Liquid.

I like knowing things like that, that probably C# is the programming language and Liquid is used. But I suppose the vast majority are not interested.

I am interested, therefore I certainly thank you.