Create users

Users are discrete identities authorized to log into a business hosted in either the server or cloud editions of Manager. Users can represent:

• Individual persons
  • Departments (such as marketing or production planning)
  • Locations (such as a branch office)

They are granted permissions by an administrator consistent with their assigned duties.

Examples

• Accounting personnel might have full access to all tabs and functions.
  • Sales staff might only be able to create customers and generate sales quotes.
  • A production manager might be able only to view inventory status and create production orders.
  • Only partners might be able to view Capital Accounts.
  • Human resources personnel might be given access only to Employees.

Note
Users can be defined in the desktop edition of Manager. But since no login function exists, they are meaningless. However, a data file containing users can be opened from server or cloud editions; users and permissions defined in the desktop edition will be functional in those multi-user editions.

###Set up an administrator

Administrators have full access to everything. They can create new businesses, new users, and set permissions for existing users. To set up a new administrator, go to Settings and click Users:

=>

Click New User. Enter the administrator’s Name, Email address, and Password. Select Full access in the dropdown box for User Permissions.

Click Create.

###Set up limited access users

Limited access users have limited authority within a single business. You can control not only what they can see, but also what they can do, in great detail. Typically, you should create most new users as limited access users. When creating a limited access user, select Limited access in the User Permissions field:

A Permitted Actions dropdown box will appear, offering a range of choices. Below the Permitted Actions field, tabs enabled for the business will be listed. Check boxes to assign permissions:

If the Reports tab is checked, a list of reports for active tabs will show. Check reports you want the user to see:

If Settings is checked, a list of reports applicable to enabled tabs will appear. Choose those the user should be able to modify:

Click Create. When the user logs in, she or he will only see tabs for which permission has been granted:

Note
If you have multiple businesses, access control and user permissions must be set for each business. Users created in one business will have no access to other businesses unless you create them separately and grant access and permissions.

1 Like

Hi @lubos,

The administrator should have a option to backup all the companies and user access settings and preferences all at once.

and for each business there should be a administrator to create and manage users for that particular users.

ex: im a partner in 4 companies with 35 employees. and we all use manager server edition.
im the administrator and i have to always create users and manage their access level. i cant keep my other partners or other general managers as administrators because they can see my all businesses and details.

I hope you understand my issue

Thank you

Like this, When Restricted user enter any kind of entry (eg. Payment, Invoice, Journal Entries,…), Is there any approval level that can approve by Administrator???

Not that I’m aware of, in giving a user restricted access implies that they are approved to do entries in that area without needing supervisory approval of their work as well.

Due to no activity log/audit trails I am facing troubles and had to separate my employees for specific tasks. I have set up one employee for creating invoices and the other for receipts and payments.

But later noticed that the first employee was able to receive money against all invoices though he isn’t authorized.

I have already dealt with a unexpected problem lately and could not trace who exactly posted for the receipt. This is certainly a loophole and should be taken into consideration.

Looking forward for audit trails and activity logs with approval features and kindly disable receive money for the employee who are not permitted for cash receives.

Thanks.

You can allow who to access specific created cash accounts, so in the meantime edit the one issuing invoices’ privileges not to access any cash accounts. It will be impossible to receive money for him.

I have set no cash account for the employee still he is surprisingly able to receive money using Receive money feature in Sales Invoices

Yes, they can create a receipt but that shouldn’t be an issue. They don’t have an access to Cash Accounts so they can’t see bank balances and bank transactions.

If you don’t want them to create receipts, simply tell them not to do it. But even if they do it, assuming bank reconciliation is performed regularly, any rogue receipt will be eventually detected so it’s not like employee can steal from you by creating that receipt.

As to why user can create the receipt… well, for most companies this is desirable. They want their collection staff to use Receive money feature without having access to Cash Accounts tab.

Thanks @lubos I agree that most companies find it flexible in creating the receipts from the invoices - in fact this is the way it should work and I have no issues with it.

Asking employees not to create receipts does solve the problem partly bothering me to worry and feel tensed if something unexpected is/will be happening. User permissions wouldn’t be necessary at all in the first place if all employees were asked to do/not do certain tasks. It is definitely required so that you don’t have to worry whether they follow your order on unauthorized access and postings.

Basically reconciliation was the only way I had to sort the past problem with where both my employee posted twice for the same cash receipts - a double entry issue.

I am not suggesting for any changes here, but frankly speaking - to be able to know who has posted for receipts would definitely solve most of my similar/cases, where employees don’t admit for their wrong/invalid/double postings, which I am always feel bothered to deal with. Hope you understand what I mean to say.

You can never get to 100% control. After you eliminate possibility of employees being able to create receipts, your next thing to tackle will be making sure they can’t select the wrong account, then wrong quantity, then wrong price… where does this end?

I thought about these issues before user permissions were implemented and my conclusion was that user permissions should be designed around the idea of preventing users from “seeing” things they shouldn’t see. Not preventing users from “doing” things they shouldn’t be doing. The first part is software responsibility, the second part is employer responsibility to train staff properly.

Totally agree with this. If you have multiple staff members and someone is doing something they are not meant to do, you need to know who has been insufficiently trained so the issue can be addressed.

The audit trail is definitely coming soon and should resolve this issue.

2 Likes

That’s why I had to set up a specific employee for this task. Thus the employee minds to work more attentively in order to avoid unintentional mistakes and on the other hand it’s easy for us too to identify whether he is fit for laborious posting 150+ invoices a day.

Your idea and implementation is verily correct. I understand the basis of preventing users from seeing things they shouldn’t see. But want to add with a suggestion - an option to let the employees to create and see their own postings would be great too and many including me who run separate business units would find it very helpful as well.

Audit trails would be remarkable feature for the business with number of employees.

Looking forward for the update soon.

Hi,
i just tested the cloud version. The feature, user with limited access and permitted actions, is not available anymore?

Do you have any businesses created?

I am planning to move to the cloud version as i hire someone to help with some of the accounting. Is it possible to restrict a user to only receipts and payments and only to the expenses part of the P&L ?

Read the Guide about creating users.