Can't Open a Manager File directly

I can confirm this.
using 20.2.28 on windows.
The storage solution used does not matter, as i am using nextcloud which works exactly like google drive and dropbox as described earlier in this thread.

i just checked on my Windows 10 system running Manager 20.2.31
i have my Application Data folder and my backups folder both synced to GDrive. the .manager files do open but Manager wants to import it as a new business rather than showing the business data.

below is a screenshot of Manager when i opened my business file from the Application Data folder directly.

if i click on Import Business, the file is listed as a business and i can work with it normally.

I’ve recently updated to Version 20.2.71, and I am having the same issue. I have one file stored on dropbox, and another stored on a folder which Google Drive automatically syncs.

Both want to be imported into Manager locally.

What I need to know, is will the files in their original locations be kept up to date, or will I have to manually export backups on a regular basis to the cloud-backed up folders.

Thanks.

If you import those to work on them, then you’ll be editing the new locally stored imported version, not the version in your cloud. So if you want the cloud one up to date, you’ll need to export when you’re done editing, and replace it.

As pointed to by @Tut earlier in this thread, you’re better off changing where Manager stores local files, to store it on drop box or google drive. See Move desktop application data to another folder | Manager
BUT, this will only help you if the cloud folders are only for you to access. If you store multiple businesses in Manager, and you share the same manager folder with someone through a cloud provider, both (or more) parties will have access to ALL businesses of each of the parties sharing that folder.

Guides still show this:

Any Manager business data file can be opened directly if the desktop edition is properly installed on a computer.

Rather than first launching Manager and selecting a business from the list of businesses in the Businesses tab, open the data file using the computer’s operating system features. This action will launch the Manager application; the business file will be active.

Thus, copies or backups of a business can be stored remotely, transmitted electronically, transported on portable media, and opened by accountants or coworkers who do not have access to your applications data folder. The business does not need to be imported into an application data folder.

will it be changed back to this ? helps a lot to quickly identify businesses !

I have the same problem as described by the users at the top.and this happened after updating to the new version 20.2.65. So is there any solution for this problem?? because I had to stop working on my business because of that bug.
Thank you in advance

No. That’s why this is in the bugs category.

No, you did not. Import the business from the backup file according to this Guide: https://www.manager.io/guides/8890. But you should also be able to access the business directly from the businesses page within the program, unless you took deliberate steps to remove it or change the path of the application data folder.

Thank you @Tut for your reply. will you be working on fixing this bug?

I’m not the developer and have nothing to do with software development. I’m a forum moderator, another user.

I’ve updated to the latest version available on the site yesterday (May 6, 2020), and I am still having the issue. This needs to be fixed.

The version can be updated many times in a day - especially to correct bugs.
Saying you updated yesterday is not enough information - what version did you download?

And the bug you are referring to is still listed amongst bugs, so it has not been fixed yet

I downloaded Version 20.5.7 yesterday, Windows version.

And you are already 10 versions behind.

1 Like

Fair enough. I went and updated to the latest version on the website (version 20.5.17 Windows as of this writing), and the bug is still there.

If you read the rest of this thread, you can see that the bug has not been addressed yet. But as there is a perfectly good workaround, it probably isn’t as high a priority as some other bugs

This issue is now fixed in the latest version (20.6.71)

You will notice when you open file directly, you will be able to click on Businesses button too which will give you list of all businesses you have in the same folder as the file you have clicked on.

Almost, but not quite, @lubos. When opening a backup file directly, this warning is still displayed:

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 9.45.24 AM

But when the OK button is clicked, the program launches and displays the Businesses page. But the standalone file does not open. And no list of other businesses in the same folder appears At least that is how v20.6.75 desktop edition is working. On that basis, I am putting this back into bugs.

Didn’t work on Mac. The latest version (20.6.78) works on Mac too.

@lubos, opening a file (such as a backup) directly now works on a Mac. But a blank business named 00000000000000000000000000000000.manager is simultaneously created in whatever folder the business file you are opening was in (including the desktop, if that’s where your backup was). Normally, I would think a file with this name should be the index file from the application data folder, but it opens directly in Manager as a new business with that name.

If I open that file with a text editor, it contains:

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.51.03 PM