Blocked from Manager

Manager Desktop doesn’t need internet connection. You need internet to download the file from the Manager.io. Try that and see how it goes.

That’s because you can have a website that isn’t online :slight_smile: Desktop Edition is like this - it’s actually a website, but it’s stored on your computer directly so there is no need to use Internet to access it.

Even when you visit the 127.0.0.1:8080 address in your web browser, you’re not actually visiting the Internet then, either!

The number 127.0.0.1 is the address of your own computer (and so is localhost), so it’s like walking out the front door of your house, turning around and walking back inside again. You don’t need to reach the road (the “Internet”) to get to your own address … you only need to reach the road (the “Internet”) to get to a website on a different computer.

Server Edition is on a different road, Desktop Edition is inside your own house. But it’s a copy of the same thing. Not sure if explaining it this way helps?

Back on topic, however… :slight_smile: Checking with a local technician is your best chance of getting things fixed. I’m glad to hear you already have things backed up to an external hard drive.

1 Like

Well I have to say that although I didn’t get my original problem fixed here I have learned a lot. I’m glad I have the notes to refer back to if or when needed. Again than you all and Shane yes your explanation made sense.

1 Like

One clue that dori gave is that the connection is extremely slow. Among many other possibilities, one possibility that I think was not mentioned is the DNS Server. DNS = Domain Name Server. The DNS allows you to type web site names (domain names) such as forum.manager.io or localhost instead of numbers such as 127.0.0.1.

I recall that the Desktop version of Manager is Browser-Based which means it runs in Internet Explorer or maybe Chrome or Firefox. This is a wise strategy for the Manager team because they can use pretty much the same exact programming code to provide a desktop version as an Internet version. So code that works one place almost always works the other place.

In any case, DNS problems can slow down your whole computer and Internet connection. All web pages can load very slowly and time out.

What you can do is try Google’s DNS to see if your web pages load faster and if Manager Desktop version or Internet version starts working again.

Google provides instructions here: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

You should try to take notes on what you change in your computer so you can go back to what it was before, if you like. And if in spite of notes you cannot go back, I think your ISP will help you get back to their settings.

In any case, I think the ISP’s DNS getting messed up is more likely than your firewall or antivirus suddenly changing on you for no reason to block Manager and slow down your whole Internet experience. DNS managers might need to have their cache cleared, or need their data updated, or need restarting, etc. And these are things you cannot do. The ISP needs to do it, if you can get them to. Your ISP cannot stop you from using Google’s DNS, though.

So, you might see if Google DNS is helpful or not.

I am waiting for my computer to come back from the computer technician. In the meantime I bought this cheap second hand laptop from him and will use it for only Manager and email and work I do on the side for a food bank. I would like to have tried the last suggestion out but I had already taken my computer in.

I have downloaded Manager to this computer but the technician has my external hard drive with all my Manager files so I’m at a stand still until I get that back. I would like to learn more about the Google DNS.

your problem initially was the inability to use Manager. you can still download and try using Manager on your work laptop by running a test business and check if everything works as expected. Later you can import your actual business when you receive the hard drive.

Thank you Sharpdrivetek. I will do that.

It is working great and I have to say how user friendly it has become. Thank you’s to all those responsible for all the hard work you put into making Manager the incredible program it is.

do update us when you import your business later and tell us how that goes.

Good to hear it’s working now!

The credit here goes to the developer, ‘lubos’. Although the community has some influence over new features and brings any issues to his attention.