Bifurcating Finished Inventory During Sales

Good Evening.

Is there a guide or a forum for me to read and understand how to break my inventory for sales.

I run a production order and have a finished product in my inventory list which is linked to my Sales. I have now got clients from three different geographies and hence would like to price them accordingly based on various extra costs incurred to ship the goods to the respective areas.

What I have currently done is create 3 names based on geography and allocate finished production based on that and my total finished product inventory housed at any point in time is calculated by adding the 3 together.

The problem I am facing is when I have to use inventory to cover up for shortages from one geography to the other, I then need to select that section in my sales quote or invoice which makes it a problem as I now have 2 lines mentioned in the quotation and order.

Is there a way I can transfer inventory from one geography to another? or is there a manner that I am not incorporating to solve this.

Appreciate the feedback and help.

please read the below guide regarding inventory transfer between locations
https://guides.manager.io/10707

I have read this and this talks about inventory at different locations. My product is housed only in one location and my clients are at different locations.

i am not sure i understand your situation completely.
you make a sale to one client which transfers the ownership of the item.
then how can you just transfer the already sold inventory to a different client?

To inter transfer inventory between the finished inventory items you have two options.
1 - Do a production order so you are converting Product A America into Product A Asia
2 - Do a Journal Entry with just Qty values (no monetary values) Product A America -1, Product A Asia 1

Hi Brucanna,

Will your suggestion work for the below example

I currently have the following finished stock after running my production order.

Country A (resident country) - Qty 10
Country B - Qty 5
Country C - Qty 17

The product is the same for all 3 Countries with the cost being different only due to various customs and clearance charges in the B and C.

Usually I have sufficient quantities for all countries as they are based on contracts.

A situation arises wherein I receive an order from country A for a quantity of 16 which is required immediately with no lead time and to make this would take me 2 days.

I know I have a total stock of 32 with me in my factory and delivery for Country B and C is in 10 days which gives me enough time to produce and cover the shortfall.

In such scenarios I currently close the deal with country A in practice but when it comes to recording and printing the invoice I need to create 2 lines in my sales invoice selecting inventory code pertaining to B and C or go back and amend my finished item allocation in my production order for country b or c to a.

This is the reason I am checking if there is a guide or topic for me to read or if there is a better way of doing this.

Yes if you don’t want to run negative inventory for a Country. Just do a Production Order to move a qty of 6 from Country C to Country A. Now Country A will have 16 and Country C will have 11. Or as you wrote “amend my finished item allocation in my production order for country b or c to a” which is much the same without the extra Production Order.

However, if negative inventory is not an issue, then just invoice Country A on the one line for the whole 16 and the stock will show a negative 6 until your next manufacturing Production Order.

1 Like

@Justin, my impression is that you are making more work than necessary. Nothing prevents you from selling an inventory item to different customers at different prices. Either edit a standard sales price based on customer location as you enter a sales invoice or leave the sales price blank when defining inventory items. Then you will be forced to consider and enter an appropriate price. It seems easier to consult a separate price list than to endure the hassle of maintaining multiple inventory items and transferring them or entering pseudo-production orders based on who you sell to.

1 Like