Bank rule payroll liabilities

I am not able to create a bank rule that allocates spending to Payroll liabilities

Capture

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

To clarify, I have set up the account Payroll liabilities as Payslip Deduction Items in Payslip Items.

1 Like

I don’t think you are missing anything. Of course, Payroll liabilities is an automatically enabled account. While you cannot select some automatic accounts (like Expense claims), you can select others (like Tax payable). It seems like payments to entities for payroll liabilities are not functionally different from payments to tax authorities. So I can’t think of a reason you should not be able to select this account. I don’t know if there is a technical reason why. @lubos will need to comment.

1 Like

I think the issue with not being able to create a bank rule is the same with retained earnings account.

I think the situation is different with Retained earnings. Unless you are a sole trader using the Retained earnings account as your owner’s equity account, you should never post bank transactions to it. You should only be using journal entries to transfer earnings to other accounts, such as capital accounts of partners. So allowing bank rules to post transactions to Retained earnings could seriously corrupt some businesses’ records.

Sure. If one does not know how to use the account, one can seriously damage the records. But, as things stand now, posting bank transactions is possible. Only bank rules don’t work.

Added to the latest version (18.7.21)