Auto calculation of the difference between debit & credit

Suggested Idea!
an option was available in a program I used to work on in Saudi Arabia which is the auto calculation of the rest amount of the difference between debit and credit
so if you have 5 debit lines with a total of 10000 xx
and 3 credit lines with a total of 7435 xx
then after you create the 4th credit line and click on this button >> Automatically put the amount of 2565 xx without any calculation from the user side manually.
Thank you

In Journal entries this already exists. Where else would this be needed?

1 Like

Yes, I noticed now but it has to be copied manually by the user and put in the last line … Thank you!
Maybe It would be great to have this option too in all other forms for complicated businesses!

How would Manager know that you are entering the last line because you may enter a debit then a credit then 2 more debit, etc lines?

Secondly could you please point out in Manager where else debit and credit entries are made in one form such as Journal Entries because I am not aware of others even when dealing with complicated businesses.

1 Like

For some clients we add something called (Ambalaj), how many cartoons for flowers, then we add and remove in the same invoice according to the number of cartoons and we keep it for the record as line and it has many types and sizes, then we credit it again in the same invoice to let only the value of flowers, I know that the proper way is to make credit note, but according to the business nature, both debit and credit lines have to be shown in the invoice

I do not like the idea as you loose an auditing method.

To explain if the user enters all line items then the check at the end will identify there is an error in one of the lines. It does not tell you which line but prompts the user to check all lines.

With auto fill the, last line will be correct only if all earlier lines are correct. Otherwise a hidden double error is created which will be much harder to find later.

2 Likes

I’m just sharing my view as an ordinary user, I find this autofill the difference into the last line very annoying.

Especially when you want to update an already created transaction, things just keep changing and if you’re not really careful you could post something that you never intended.

Also, as @Patch already said – but this is just my spin on it – this completely renders the balance check at the end useless since even if you’re half way through writing you entry, you’re never going to notice the imbalance since there’s no imbalance to begin with. Halfbaked entries are now fully balanced – which I don’t think counts as an improvement.

1 Like

How about a compromise @yaser, what if for example double clicking on the difference posts it in a new line. This achieves the following:

• Confirm the user is done writing the entry
  • The check remains valid throughout the process of writing
  • No annoying artifacts during updates
  • No manual copying and pasting
1 Like

No, a credit note would be created after the fact to adjust an invoice already issued. You are looking for assistance while you are creating a sales invoice.

Your initial example seems to apply only to journal entries, as you mention debit lines and credit lines separately. As @eko already said, the difference is continually calcaulated already.

But your second example and justification in post #5 applies only to sales invoices. Sales invoices already accept both positive and negative entries on line items, which correspond to credits and debits. The net difference is automatically reflected in the total.

You seem to be thinking only of the entries related to cartons. It is important to understand that the prices for flowers on a sales invoice also represent credits that will be posted to income accounts. So any scheme like you suggest would include those in its calculation. You would end up debiting back your sales and ultimately have a zero-balance sales invoice. The program could not, by itself, determine which debits and credits you wanted to offset and zero out.

2 Likes