Allocate inventory write-off to equity account for personal use of stock

Thanks @Tut for making a case for this idea more eloquently than I could have.

Agreed. Inventory write-offs allow the user to apply a tax code to the transaction, which is what I would do if I was allocating it to an equity account for personal use.

Earlier in the year @lubos wrote in another topic:

(Emphasis is mine.)

I am not an accountant, so perhaps for me the term “inventory write-off” does not carry such a specific meaning as it does for some others here. What I would like to achieve is to be able to allocate inventory for personal use to an equity account, and have Manager do all the cost calculations itself. I don’t really mind if this is called “inventory write-off” or something else altogether. Currently all the methods that I’ve tried or have been suggested either involve manual look-up and input of costs or extra clearing accounts and more steps. The Inventory write-off transaction type seems to accomplish what I want perfectly, except that I can’t select the equity account for the allocation. As far as I can tell, all reporting obligations to the tax authority will be met, provided I select the appropriate tax code for the transaction (which would still be the case if I was using a journal entry or any other method).

1 Like